• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 07:39:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 539
Total: 539

Did anyone here......??

Started by Mugwump, December 17, 2014, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...ever roast a chestnut???......we always called them 'buckeyes'... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Being Italian of course we do. I love them.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

My parents did a couple of times when I was a kid.  I think they did it in the fire place(?)  I tried them back then.  I didn't much like much.  Perhaps it was because my parents didn't know the right way to do it.  They did it twice and I don't remember them trying a third time.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

That's something I barely remember from when I was a real little kid. My grandfather used to share them with me and I'm thinking he called them horse chestnuts??

We have some members from the Buckeye State on the forum.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

We're going back a long time here, but I think that horse chestnuts are different.  Some of them had a beautiful pattern on their shells, but I used horse chestnuts for throwing and things and kids I didn't like.  They sting when one hits you.

Mugwump

Horse chestnuts are the same as buckeyes...they're inedible....we used buckeyes in out sling shots...the flat side made em curve if you knew how to shoot em right.....

Chestnuts are for roasting and eating.........................................albeit we called those 'buckeyes' too as kids... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 17, 2014, 05:27:32 PM
We have some members from the Buckeye State on the forum.  :)

All parts of the buckeye or horse chestnut tree are extremely toxic, including the nut-like seeds.  I've got several dozen trees on the property here.  Nothing eats the "nuts" so they come up everywhere in the spring.....  the young trees look like pot plants with their pointy leaves.  LOL

Dennis

LizStreithorst

They don't grow down here.  It does look something like a pot plant when it's young.  It's gorgeous as a mature tree. 

I grow an anual flower that reseeds well that's young foliage is easily confused with pot leaves to the untrained eye.  It tickled me when the guys were taking a break from cutting my dead trees down the boss knocked at my front door, pointed at the plant and asked if I had any papers.  It was a joke.  He knew what it was.  He even knew the name of it!