• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 04:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,338
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 646
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 645
Total: 645

Used Cars

Started by LizStreithorst, January 16, 2016, 03:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've just started kinda looking.  It will be several months before I will recover from buying Charlotte's new heart.  I need to replace The Beast with something that suites my needs.

I've looked at parked cars everywhere.  To me, all American ones and most Japanese ones look about the same...generic cars.  I want something with a bit of character.  So far I like the style of the VW Bug and the Mini Cooper.  I saw a Fiat 500 that really turned me on to day.  Of course every Beemer I see turns me on.  I haven't done any in depth research yet.  European scares me but they're the ones with style.  British scares me bad.  Italian scares the crap out of me.  I don't know about the Beetle.  I doubt that I'll be able to afford a BMW. 

Years ago I had the most wonderful mechanic who was a friend.  He's dead now so my two local choices are guys who prefer American.  Chip says that if I buy imported I should buy Japanese.  I didn't ask why because I know.  It's all about reliability. 

I've been looking at a Mazda Miata.  It suits my style.  It's not Japanese so my mechanics won't hate me.  It's small.  I want small.  I know that it's a sports car and I don't need a sports car, but I like them. 

Please y'all, give me your opinions.  I'm looking for more options, too.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 16, 2016, 03:33:51 PM

I've been looking at a Mazda Miata.  It suits my style.  It's not Japanese so my mechanics won't hate me.  It's small.  I want small.  I know that it's a sports car and I don't need a sports car, but I like them. 

Please y'all, give me your opinions.  I'm looking for more options, too.

Mazda is Japanese. huh They are good cars though.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I meant to say that it not European.  I kile Japanese and my local guys can deal with Japanese.

Rjb3

We love our Fiat 500 Pop. We just picked up a Chevy City Express for Gale's flower business.

LizStreithorst

I loved that little Fiat.  I walked all around it and looked inside it.  Everything turned me on.  But the reputation of Italian cars in general is that they break.  My husband raced an Alpha back before I knew him.  He loved that car.  But that is the lure of Italian cars....they make you love them and then they break your heart by breaking.  (or so they say).

How old is your 500, My Captain?  Any problems with it yet?

Rjb3

It's a 2012 with 60000 miles. Bought it used with 18000 miles on her. 44 MPG. No complaints.

It attracts a lot of attention where ever you go.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on January 17, 2016, 07:39:15 AM
It's a 2012 with 60000 miles. Bought it used with 18000 miles on her. 44 MPG. No complaints.

It attracts a lot of attention where ever you go.

They have driven it here too....I thought they were peddling it...LOL....but nope, it's just a neat little car.....I think that I saw Bob drive it, loaded to the gills, to one of the swaps too....a lot more room in there than I'd thought there would be.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

I have tried all the American cars in my 40 some odd years of driving and switched over to Toyotaa in 2001 have have liked them a whole lot better. No more oil leaks, buring oil or just breaking down. My 2001 Avalon get routine maintenance as well as my 2006 Tacoma and they do not leave me stranded.

LizStreithorst

My head says to buy a Corolla.  My heart wants the little Fiat.  I looked at a Scion IQ but it wasn't as stylish and the reviews weren't good.  The Fiat ranks surprisingly high in it's class.  Chip says he won't work on it.  BJ says that he will, but he will curse under his breath.  I can handle paying a cursing under breath charge as long as there is someone local  who will work on it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 18, 2016, 11:26:23 AM
My head says to buy a Corolla.  My heart wants the little Fiat.  I looked at a Scion IQ but it wasn't as stylish and the reviews weren't good.  The Fiat ranks surprisingly high in it's class.  Chip says he won't work on it.  BJ says that he will, but he will curse under his breath.  I can handle paying a cursing under breath charge as long as there is someone local  who will work on it.

Either the Fiat or Toyota would be nice....altho the Corolla might be a touch more comfortable to drive...?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

I would trust the Corolla

LizStreithorst

I know it's more trustworthy.  There will  be a few months before I can buy anything and I might change my mine, but I doubt it.

wsantia1

I had a Fiat and a Corolla. I would take the Corolla all the time.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I had a Corolla, too.  Next to my Plymouth with a slant 6 is was the most reliable car I've ever owned, but it's not what I want.

I saw a cute little Chevy Sonic today that suited me.  But I checked the reviews and they were not great.  The reviews in the Fiat 500 are great.  The problem will be finding one.   

I saw the Fiat today that turned me on when I saw it the first time.  It was driving it's owner to work and I followed it.  It belongs to a cashier at my local supermarket.  She likes it a lot.  She found it at a lot in the next town over and bought it used...just one year old.  She was so lucky!   Alas, the nearest dealer is in New Orleans.  If I can't find one locally it will be a huge problem getting it home.

BTW, I want Red and I want standard transmission.  Thank God I have time because Charlotte will be her 88,000 mile reliable self when I get her home.  Once I have her I will have shiny man work what magic he can work on The Beast and offer him for sale.