• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 03:25:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 631
Total: 631

New Years eve....

Started by Mugwump, December 31, 2015, 06:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Quote from: b125killer on December 31, 2015, 09:06:35 PM
I'm about in the same place. I know the lighting is bad, l'll probably replace the bulbs. It's about the cost, it's going to cost  2 to 4 hundred depending on leds. It's the down side to planting a big tanks.

Good Lord..I was told that they were cheap as dirt now.  I have an entire fish room ???  I think I'll take LED's off my wish list and replace them with one 100% down pillow which only costs $300. ::)
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

You have to take into consideration the length and depth of the tank. I'm grown plant and corals for the saltwater. If I just wanted light I could get a 48" led for like 50 buck. I'm looking to grow plants and the cheaper low Watt leds won't do that. When you look at buying a 6 foot 3 watt led it starts to cost a lot more. Or 4 36" fugeray planted leds at 100 buck a pop.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Got it.  I don't care about plants.  It will still be a bundle for me to spend.  Perhaps I will do it little by little rather than in one fell swoop.

LizStreithorst

I wanted to welcome in the new year but I guess I won't make it.  Eyes getting heavy. Nite everybody.  Here's hoping that 2016 wlll be a good year ;D ;D ;D

b125killer

Happy new years Liz, and good night.
Scott

BillT

Do you guys see any dimming or change of color in the high end LEDs after a year or two?

Mugwump

I haven't seen any changes in the ones that I have....

Bill, look around in here, it'll give an idea of LED pricing....search under 'Beamswork' too...

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-s/22.htm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I have Finnex Planted Pluses ffor over a year now and don't notice any dimming. I don't have any technical way of measuring though. My plants are still growing and multiplying well.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

I have had the finnex for a while and there's no notable difference that I can see. Time will tell with the saltwater leds. I do hear that a lot of saltwater people go back to mh after a few months. But I don't know what leds they were running. The technology on led change quickly. The next big thing in saltwater is a true uv led. I guess it's supposed to make your coral color pop. I want a par meter but there not cheap either. With the saltwater led it's all adjustable so it's just a guess as to what the true levels are. I'm kind of going by coral growth. And so far there fine.
Scott

BillT

A PAR meter would be interesting to play with.
Here is a nice article from 2013 about some PAR meters and using them with LEDs:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/equipment

A simple way to see if they change over time would be to side-by side compare a new one with one that has been running for a year or so.
When I was looking into LEDs for various reasons 2 or 3 years ago a lighting salesman showed me some LEDs they had running in the store for about a year. He said they had dimmed and changed color somewhat. I figured that these were kind of cheap ones and have wondered about others. I have several LED stripes which seem to have survived OK for a few years.

There are now so many kinds of LEDs it is difficult to keep track of them.

High end ones can produce good light but they aren't cheap. This can be off-set by their inexpensive operating costs and longer life, unless their long life is not fully functional.

I heard about an LED UV sterilizer being produced for the aquaculture industry. This use requires powerful output.
There are now big LED arrays for growing terrestrial plants too. They also are more expensive than the MH lights.