• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 10:08:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 524
Total: 524

Filled the 150 gallon...

Started by Mugwump, April 13, 2015, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

Do you have a UV you can use on it,my pond was pea soup when it went out. 

LizStreithorst

Yep, a small UV would do the trick.  You only need a 9 watt  for algae even on a tank that size.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

You need some Daphnia.....   ;)

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Wow, Dennis.  Daphnia are way better than a UV because when he puts fish in the daphnia are food.  A UV is just a UV.

Mugwump

daphnia ?......how   much would I need?...just a culture?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

That would be all.  They breed like rabbits when conditions are favorable.   ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 27, 2015, 07:31:11 PM
That would be all.  They breed like rabbits when conditions are favorable.   ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

I'll try for a picture showing the tank color.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

This is the color of the green water I use to feed my cultures.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 27, 2015, 08:14:03 PM

This is the color of the green water I use to feed my cultures.

Dennis

It's not that green yet....couple more sunny days tho....LOL
Jon

LizStreithorst

That's pretty green, but I have greener in my outdoor rain water collection tubs.  I think I remember reading years ago that you can too in yeast to feed them.  Or may be the yeast makes green water that they eat.  I don't remember.  I didn't care at the time.

BallAquatics

Did you fill the tank with plain tap water?  Wonder where the nutrient for the algae to grow is coming from???

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 27, 2015, 08:26:09 PM
Did you fill the tank with plain tap water?  Wonder where the nutrient for the algae to grow is coming from???

Dennis

I squeezed four sponges in there to cycle it quickly, then we tossed in oak leaves.... ;D....dead bugs are floating too...just a few tho..

oh, and a bit of duckweed that didn't last long in the cold....
Jon

BallAquatics

Yep, they will eat yeast.  They are filter feeders so any particles small enough will be consumed.  I supplement mine with a dry mix of yeast, chlorella algae, spirulina algae, and green pea flour mixed with green water.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I want some.  the yeast will be my friend.  I don't think I can find the other stuff.  I have algae discs for plecos, bit I don't think that they will work

BallAquatics

Here's a link to a paper I keep on my site about culturing Daphnia.  The author, Doug Sweet, is a member of our local club.

http://ballaquatics.com/ba-wp/wp-content/uploads/DaphniaCultureMadeSimple.pdf

I get all my dry goods from this place ==>> https://nuts.com/  They have fantastic prices on the algae powders and a wide selection of flours and yeast.

Dennis