• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 12:42:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 552
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 555
Total: 555

How I ship

Started by JC, January 20, 2015, 05:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

I remember seeing a few days ago someone posted pics of a box of fish they received so since I was shipping out fish this morning I decided to take some pics of my progress and how I do it. I've been shipping fish for 5 years and only had 5 DOA fish (knock on wood) out of the hundreds I've shipped. I learned by watching videos on the Internet and carefully studying the boxes I was receiving from different people. I only ship through usps and have never shipped through any other carrier.  Everyone has their own way of doing it and this is my way that works very successfully for me.

Box measures 14x14x14. I buy my big boxes from Walmart they are very inexpensive and in the stationary dept. if I'm shipping a small amount of fish I'll just get the free boxes from the post office. This pic is of my box that I have taped the bottom and cut my 1/2" thick sheet styro (bought from menards in a 4'x8' sheetfor $10) to line the sides and bottom. I also cut a piece to fit the top when I'm done packing it. You'll also notice that I taped a 72hr heat pack to the bottom

JC

These are the heat packs I use in the winter (72hr). I buy them from aquabid for $1 and some change

JC

I have my 6 bags in and I crumble newspaper and fill the voids to keep the bags from moving around and to also help insulate

JC

4 small bags on top. I'm shipping 38 fish in this box. A German ram pair and 36 dime/nickel size Angels. They are going to Newton Iowa which is about 4 hours from me and it's being sent priority which will take 2 days

JC

Filling all the open space with newspaper

JC

I lay a sheet of newspaper on top to have a barrier from the heat packs I tape to the lid

JC

2 heat packs taped to the lid. I'll have 3 total because it's in the 30's during the day but down to the high teens or mid 20's at night

JC

Lid is placed on top and I cut out a small hole to help get the lid off at its new home

JC

Box is all closed and taped up and ready to ship!  I print my own shipping labels and pay online because it's about half the cost and I don't have to wait in line at the post office

Mugwump

Nice.....you really should look into the Speedee Delivery tho.....that box could have gone next day for about the same price.......

They've never disappointed me so far....for grins...price a box out.....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson