• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 09:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 619
Total: 619

Opinions, please

Started by LizStreithorst, October 12, 2014, 05:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That's what I needed to hear.  What about the bit about the percentage of water to O2?    I've always used lots of air and enough water to keep the fish wet, but what he said about surface area made a lot of sense to me.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 12, 2014, 06:16:37 PM
That's what I needed to hear.  What about the bit about the percentage of water to O2?    I've always used lots of air and enough water to keep the fish wet, but what he said about surface area made a lot of sense to me.

Steve has shipped a ton of fish over the years....he knows his shit.... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

If you think about it, there's no way a breather bag can retain heat like a 2-3mil plastic bag...plus, as a heat pack(s) works they chew up oxygen more than some folks think...I've had shipments of the much smaller species that it seems to work well for....I think Dennis uses them, if I remember correctly, but I've received some smaller angels in them that were a disaster....then reshipped in plastic, at my request, and arrived without a hitch....it was winter, and the extra heats packs used, smothered them in the smaller boxes....
Jon

ghonk

I have never used them,the only reasons i can think of to use them would be if you don't have a suppy of oxygen.
Or maybe it would be easier on the fish since they aren't sloshing around in the bags. 

Barb

I use them to ship Endlers, they work great.  But I would not use them for angels, the bags would get punctured, even though they are strong.
Barb

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on October 12, 2014, 06:44:25 PM
....I think Dennis uses them, if I remember correctly.....

Yep, that's all I use anymore.  You pack them completely different from regular poly bags.

Dennis

New_b0401

As a new breeder I don't have a supply of oxygen so I use breather bags. I've shipped bn plecos, multifasciatus cichlids. and guppies. Never had any issues even had a shipment get lost was returned to me in a little less than a month. All the fish were alive and healthy. I have yet to ship in the winter with heating packs a probably won't as I have lfs that will take purchase my supply. Although the article does make sense and I will be looking into different ways to ship as I increase my breeding stock and rate.

Thanks for sharing very interesting article .