• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 03:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 380
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 337
Total: 338

Rats

Started by LizStreithorst, August 10, 2016, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Mr. Sharp just called with the estimate on my fencing.  I can do it but it will totally wipe out my stash of cash.  I'm thinking about going into debt to have the fish room done.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

Is the fence just to keep a horse in? I see people sometimes just put up a single strand of electric fence wire, with little ribbons tied to it every 5 feet. The metal t-bar posts are about every 20 feet. Its a cheap fence. They don't even electrify it... the horse thinks its hot I guess.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Thanks, Dan.  That is now the plan, although I think I'll go with two wires.  I just called Mr. Sharp and let him know.  I may even have a good charger.  It's hasn't been used in 10 years.  I'll plug it in when I get home and see if it still works.

wallace

Saw a drunk guy accidentally piss on an electric fence one time.. LOL   :o
Dan

LizStreithorst

Not the best idea.Good thing he was "feeling no pain"

Back when I raised dairy goats I had to a hot wire over the gate to the buck pens to keep them from climbing the gates when the does were in heat.  I touched my head on it more than once.  It knocked me silly for a few seconds.

wallace

We only have one stinking buck right now. He and I have pushing contests.

Is your electric fence the gotcha type that pulses or the continuous kind? The pulse kind isn't so good for horses, they can have heart attacks.
Dan

Rjb3

A long time ago in a land far away . . . .

Actually, it was when I was a kid growing up on a small farm. We had an electric fence powered by a six volt dry cell. My Dad could hold onto it without flinching. Then, he would hand us a bucket or something. Of course we'd jump. When he got tired of replacing the dry cell, he bought one that plugged into a 110 volt outlet. I think it was called a rod burner. That one he couldn't hold onto. LOL

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on August 10, 2016, 04:08:47 PM
We only have one stinking buck right now. He and I have pushing contests.

Is your electric fence the gotcha type that pulses or the continuous kind? The pulse kind isn't so good for horses, they can have heart attacks.

Pushing matches are fine.  When my stinking bucks escaped they would try to breed me and they were 300 lbs!  They couldn't help themselves.  They had testicles the size of a 1000 lb bull.  It wasn't great when I had to run right off to work after milking and feeding without time for a shower.  The office manager once told me. "Liz, you smell like a billy goat".  All I could say was, "I know".  They had better manners diring the late spring and summer months unless I used hormonal sponges on the does to bring them into heat out of season for the fall shows.  With dairy goats the boobs carry as many points on the score card as structure.  Having a doe that had just freshened was a huge advantage.

My old fence charger didn't work.  It was a pulse type.  I understand that the continuous kind can start start a fire in dry grass. I bought another pulse type one from Jeffers.  It might be here Friday!  My horses know that fences bite.  They have both been contained with barbed wire in the past.  I hope that it takes only one touch and when they make the mistake they won't up and die after I've spent a bunch of money to keep them contained.