• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 10:33:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 498
Total: 499

Babies!!

Started by big b, December 07, 2015, 04:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big b

This morning just before I left, I saw about 11 baby bn plecos!! The odd thing is that I don't them anymore. Did they go back in the cave or did the other fish eat them?

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on December 07, 2015, 04:53:07 PM
This morning just before I left, I saw about 11 baby bn plecos!! The odd thing is that I don't them anymore. Did they go back in the cave or did the other fish eat them?

Well Congrat's  !!!  ...they should be hiding somewhere there....some will go back in the cave tho..what other fish are in there?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Congrats! |^| |^| |^| Baby BNs are a lot of fun. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

big b

Quote from: Mugwump on December 07, 2015, 05:43:38 PM

Well Congrat's  !!!  ...they should be hiding somewhere there....some will go back in the cave tho..what other fish are in there?
Mostly tetras but there is some corys, a bumblebee catfish, some kuhli loahces, and a blue gourami.

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on December 07, 2015, 08:10:04 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 07, 2015, 05:43:38 PM

Mostly tetras but there is some corys, a bumblebee catfish, some kuhli loahces, and a blue gourami.

the loaches might try for them....the gourami could, but are more top tier fish......see any more??.....you can carefully move them to a tank with smaller species.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

I do have my 20 gallon with my red guppy's and otto cats. I do however have a bunch of snails. Mystery snails, pond snails, and ramshorn snails. Could it be possible that the snails could kill them? Also, I think the bumblebee catfish might eat them. How could I move them? I saw 4 a few minutes ago :). They are so cute and so small that it makes me so happy when I see them. It makes me wonder how something so small can turn into something so big. Just like with the mighty redwood tree. It starts out as just a tiny seed, then it turns into a GIANT. Isn't life amazing like that?

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on December 07, 2015, 09:37:24 PM
I do have my 20 gallon with my red guppy's and otto cats. I do however have a bunch of snails. Mystery snails, pond snails, and ramshorn snails. Could it be possible that the snails could kill them? Also, I think the bumblebee catfish might eat them. How could I move them? I saw 4 a few minutes ago :). They are so cute and so small that it makes me so happy when I see them. It makes me wonder how something so small can turn into something so big. Just like with the mighty redwood tree. It starts out as just a tiny seed, then it turns into a GIANT. Isn't life amazing like that?

Yes, it is captivating....No matter how many times we watch it happen, I think most all of us here get goose bumps when we see our fry hatch...

...why don't you try to move a bunch elsewhere to allow as many as possible a chance at survival....
Jon

big b

So I should move them to my 20 gallon? How would I move them? They are so tiny. Would I put a slice of zucchini in a fish net and put it inside so they get on the zucchini and move them like that but with the drip acclimation? 

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on December 08, 2015, 05:22:34 AM
So I should move them to my 20 gallon? How would I move them? They are so tiny. Would I put a slice of zucchini in a fish net and put it inside so they get on the zucchini and move them like that but with the drip acclimation?

They're very resilient....just very slowly net them and plop to the other tank.....don't forget to feed them if you don't have algae in the tanks for them to forage on...
Jon

Mugwump

I should add....be patient....they are very, very, very quick....LOLOLOLOLOL.....very..
Jon

BallAquatics

When I need to move little ones, I drop in a clay pot and put an algae wafer in it.  In about a half hour I've got a pot full to move to the other tank.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 08, 2015, 06:47:25 AM
When I need to move little ones, I drop in a clay pot and put an algae wafer in it.  In about a half hour I've got a pot full to move to the other tank.

Dennis

I've heard of folks doing similar with a glass jar....but with the other fish that he has in there, he's liable to catch anything...LOL....worth a try tho...yup
Jon

big b

Ok I'll first try to get them into the jar. And I'll also get some zucchini ready for them to eat.

LizStreithorst

Congrats, B.  Having babies is awesome.  We will turn you into a breeder |^|  Granted, some fish will spawn in sewer water but not most.  You are doing well.  Are your parents impressed?

Since Barb did it, and now you have done it I decided to try it myself.  I put one of Barb's long caves in the community tank.  There is a male having a good ole time in there.  I have never caught a female with him but he never leaves the cave.  I flashed a light inside the cave but could see nothing but the male dancing around inside it.  If there were eggs or fry I couldn't see them.  But hen, you were surprised as was Barb.....
Always move forward. Never look back.

big b

My mom found the babies neat. Not sure if she was impressed though.
So if a 14 year old could do it, so could you. Was that what you were thinking? Haha. My male bristlenose never left his cave, I only saw him leave once and he still had his head in the cave! He then rushed back in. So he might be protecting some eggs or some fry already.