• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 05:11:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 799
  • Online ever: 799
  • (Today at 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 579
Total: 579

Bumblebee catfish with neons?

Started by big b, October 25, 2015, 09:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big b

I was wondering if 10 south american bumblebee catfish could live in a 29 gallon densely planted with 20 neons. I hear that they can eat small fish but I'm not sure if neons could be food for them. I am thinking that the densely planted could help but I'm just not sure if they would be safe to put together.

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on October 25, 2015, 09:24:13 PM
I was wondering if 10 south american bumblebee catfish could live in a 29 gallon densely planted with 20 neons. I hear that they can eat small fish but I'm not sure if neons could be food for them. I am thinking that the densely planted could help but I'm just not sure if they would be safe to put together.

I found this...but wonder if 5 might be better than 10 with only a 29gal tank....male sure it's not an Asian Bumblebee, they can grow 6" in length and would need a bigger tank..etc..http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Asian_Bumblebee_Catfish

"The South American Bumblebee Catfish is very peaceful fish which does well in community tank. It requires 15 gallons or larger aquarium with dimmed light. The tank should be furnished with driftwood, narrow cracks or hole, rock caves and other dim areas for the fish to hide in. The Bumblebee Catfish is very sociable. These cats are non-aggressive and do well with other fish including other catfish. They show very shy in alone and they are more interactive in groups between 6-8 individuals. Most hobbyists choose to house their bumblebee catfish with fish like other catfish, red tail sharks, rainbow sharks, iridescent sharks, most loaches, eels, corys, plecos, tetras, barbs, gouramis and even some smaller cichlids. This catfish should be kept in a temperature between 72 and 770 F. Lots of vegetation like large Amazon swords or ferns like narrow leaf java fern should be provided which help this fish hide during the day. This species does best in soft, slightly acidic to slightly alkaline water (pH 6.5 -7.5) with good oxygenation and a moderate amount of currents."
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

Do you think that bumblebee catfish (the small kind) can live with red eye tetras?

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on October 26, 2015, 07:19:22 PM
Do you think that bumblebee catfish (the small kind) can live with red eye tetras?

no...the SA bumblebees are shy.....I would worry more about crowding them in a 29gal...that's all...

""The South American Bumblebee Catfish is very peaceful fish which does well in community tank. It requires 15 gallons or larger aquarium with dimmed light. The tank should be furnished with driftwood, narrow cracks or hole, rock caves and other dim areas for the fish to hide in. The Bumblebee Catfish is very sociable. These cats are non-aggressive and do well with other fish including other catfish. They show very shy in alone and they are more interactive in groups between 6-8 individuals. Most hobbyists choose to house their bumblebee catfish with fish like other catfish, red tail sharks, rainbow sharks, iridescent sharks, most loaches, eels, corys, plecos, tetras, barbs, gouramis and even some smaller cichlids. This catfish should be kept in a temperature between 72 and 770 F. Lots of vegetation like large Amazon swords or ferns like narrow leaf java fern should be provided which help this fish hide during the day. This species does best in soft, slightly acidic to slightly alkaline water (pH 6.5 -7.5) with good oxygenation and a moderate amount of currents."
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

I was actually thinking about putting them in a 38 gallon. But I have had another idea. Instead of bumblebee catfish, how about a farowella catfish? There are some for sale with the name of Farlowella sp I did some research and found out it's scientific name is Farlowella acus.

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on October 26, 2015, 07:41:18 PM
I was actually thinking about putting them in a 38 gallon. But I have had another idea. Instead of bumblebee catfish, how about a farowella catfish? There are some for sale with the name of Farlowella sp I did some research and found out it's scientific name is Farlowella acus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farlowella

They are primarily algae eaters.....I'd suggest googling your selections and read up on them before buying....link above...
Jon

big b

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on October 26, 2015, 07:48:58 PM
I was looking at some things about them. I was mainly looking at this http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile57.html

Did your read the part about the PH?...temps?...and other requirements..?....does it match that of the other tank inhabitants that you're planning on having?

Jon

big b

Yep My ph is about mid 7 I think, I haven't checked in a looong while. My temp is naturally around 72. Sometimes a bit more, but it never drops below 72. My tank is a 29 gallon so it is 30 inches long. I am planning for the other inhabitants to be 20 neons and 4 honey gouramis. Pretty peaceful tank,wouldn't you agree?