• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 06:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 662
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 601
Total: 601

HOT Mag replacement..

Started by Mugwump, May 03, 2016, 06:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Too many hoses and stuff with a canister.....  with the Hot Mag, you just pick it up and go.  They made a big mistake taking it off the market and lying about it to boot.  Just imagine how many they would have sold if the had been up front about it's demise.

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 03, 2016, 06:28:41 AM
Too many hoses and stuff with a canister.....  with the Hot Mag, you just pick it up and go.  They made a big mistake taking it off the market and lying about it to boot.  Just imagine how many they would have sold if the had been up front about it's demise.

Dennis

To me this can't replace the Hot Mag. It is just another canister filter  and not portable like the Hot Mag. It even has a lower flow rate. A 220 flow rate is lousy for any canister filter.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 03, 2016, 06:36:25 AM

Dennis

To me this can't replace the Hot Mag. It is just another canister filter  and not portable like the Hot Mag. It even has a lower flow rate. A 220 flow rate is lousy for any canister filter.

I agree, the portability is what made the HMag so great ....this has the three chambers too, and is only rated for 75gals..tho they mention one for 100gals too

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on May 03, 2016, 07:00:49 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on May 03, 2016, 06:36:25 AM

Dennis

I agree, the portability is what made the HMag so great ....this has the three chambers too, and is only rated for 75gals..tho they mention one for 100gals too

That one for 100 gallons is that 330 or 350 that's been on the market for a while.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

I think that you're correct, sir.  2c2
Jon

BallAquatics

Jez, that things as big as a shop vac and only rated for 75 to 100 gallons.....   ::) ::) ::)

Dennis

sschind

looks like every other canister filter out there.

I just cleaned up my last HOT Magnum the other day and it works fine.  I don't have any tanks going but I guess I'll hold on to it anyway.

Maybe I'll have to grab the one Bruce has on his shelf and see if his source really can come up with more of them. 
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on May 12, 2016, 02:00:15 PM
looks like every other canister filter out there.

I just cleaned up my last HOT Magnum the other day and it works fine.  I don't have any tanks going but I guess I'll hold on to it anyway.

Maybe I'll have to grab the one Bruce has on his shelf and see if his source really can come up with more of them.

....cool, let me know if he can get them...and $$$....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

ghonk

Ken's still has them for sale,and on sale.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 12, 2016, 03:09:31 PM
Ken's still has them for sale,and on sale.

..thought Ken's had an 'out of stock' on theirs....??
Jon

LizStreithorst

Yes.  the site says that they are available but they are not.

Are we all positive that this Maginflow filter is really supposed to be the replacement for the Mangum 250?  If it is, we all need to write to the company and tell them that it is not.  If enough people bitch them out perhaps they will bring the 250 back.
Always move forward. Never look back.