• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 10:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 52
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 25
Total: 26

Finally...!

Started by Ron Sower, February 20, 2015, 09:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I got about 7 or 8 BNs from a fellow a couple months ago. There  was one large normal grey male with a bunch of bristles and one female albino and several grey juvies. So I waited.... watched the blessed Barb pleco caves for some activity, and week in - week out...nothing. I finally moved the albino and a couple of the juvie greys to a tank up into our tank in the clubhouse.

About 3 weeks ago i noticed Old Bristles was hanging in and out of one of Barb's caves. Go figure...he's crazy or else he's a dirty lecherous old man or a fish molester! I don't think the juvies are old enough to spawn.

Anyhow, today when I came in at 4:30 there were 2 albino 1/2'' long fry on the glass near the top of the tank. Bristles is still in front of the cave. So those 2 have escaped his wary eye recently and are out on their own.

I'm not feeding them anything special. They're in the 55 gallon heavily planted tank. We'll see how they do.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..Congrat's ...welcome to the wonderful world pf BN fry..... ;D...if it's planted, there are more out, and hidden all over the place....they will need food....got amy small foods from Bob?....teenie greenie, etc..they will even scarf 'guppy magic' at that size....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Congrats on the fry Ron. Once my BN's started breeding they turned into breeding machines and pretty soon I was overrun with BN fry. lol  I have a breeding trio that is going strong right now. The male is holding a bunch of Albino fry in the cave.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

Congrats Ron.  It's always a pleasant surprise when ya notice babies in the tank.  Hope you discover many more surprises from that dirty old man and his mystery girlfriend.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Well, this morning I saw a grey one out with the 2 albinos. DOM is still in and out of the cave and fanning a little. I've had ABNs breed several years ago and actually raised the fry. This will be another Darwinian effort on the part of the fry. However, I don't have very aggressive species in my tanks. I think they will forage and do okay.

I have a feeling DOM mated with the ABN female that I removed. Everyone seems to really like the ABNs. I really like the GBNs better (Grey)!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 21, 2015, 02:39:30 PM
Well, this morning I saw a grey one out with the 2 albinos. DOM is still in and out of the cave and fanning a little. I've had ABNs breed several years ago and actually raised the fry. This will be another Darwinian effort on the part of the fry. However, I don't have very aggressive species in my tanks. I think they will forage and do okay.

I have a feeling DOM mated with the ABN female that I removed. Everyone seems to really like the ABNs. I really like the GBNs better (Grey)!

You'll lose a few if you don't feed em something, Ron....but hopefully there's some algae for them to chow on...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on February 21, 2015, 02:43:15 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on February 21, 2015, 02:39:30 PM

You'll lose a few if you don't feed em something, Ron....but hopefully there's some algae for them to chow on...??
I'll drop in a green bean or something. How about that?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 21, 2015, 03:25:54 PM
I'll drop in a green bean or something. How about that?

That's a favorite of most Ancistrus.....  Canned "French Cut"

Dennis

Ron Sower

I'll do that Dennis. Thank you. Maybe this won't be as Darwinian a tank as usually is. There is, however, a lot of plant growth.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 21, 2015, 03:47:13 PM
I'll do that Dennis. Thank you. Maybe this won't be as Darwinian a tank as usually is. There is, however, a lot of plant growth.

Yep, the 'unsalted' French cut work well....is there any wood in there for them..??
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on February 21, 2015, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on February 21, 2015, 03:47:13 PM

Yep, the 'unsalted' French cut work well....is there any wood in there for them..??
Beans went fast!
Wood? Yup! Always!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron