• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 11:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 549
Total: 550

Half Black pair with wigglers

Started by LizStreithorst, November 16, 2014, 03:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I'm hoping that these will become parents raisers.  I will buy the card reader for my camera tomorrow.  I must have it if I am to post them for sale.  Forgive me for bitching but the more I try not to spend money the more it seems that I have to spend it.

If the pair does right, I'll post pics of them with the free swimming fry in 2 or 3 days.  If anyone here is interested in them they'll be $125. to y'all rather than the normal $150. that I list them for on Aquabid.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 19, 2014, 05:37:41 PM
The kids should free swim tomorrow :D

Great !!!!....and yep, pics would be nice too... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The tank has all this brown algae and I'm afraid to screw up the pair by giving it a good wipe down.  I was also afraid to toss in some snots to clean the tank up because if what the pair would do to them.   If these turn out to be parent raisers I will have to take a pic of them eventually so I can post it on Aquabid.  It should be safe after the kids are free swimming for a couple of days.

Mugwump

..or you can leave it.....Mom/Dad will lead the kids to it for snacks too... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That was my other thought.  That and small stuff on the sponge make for good food food for new free swimmers.  But once the parents are comfortable with the fry and the fry are chowing down on BBS I'll be safe doing a good wipe down.

LizStreithorst

OK.  The tank isn't so filthy that I can't show y'all.  The tank sides aren't totally disgraceful.  It's the tank bottom.

JC

I let my parent raising tanks get like that I think it's good for the fry

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on November 19, 2014, 06:26:02 PM
I let my parent raising tanks get like that I think it's good for the fry

;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I generally keep things pretty clean.  In this case I got the feeling that I shouldn't mess with a good thing.  The parents were doing well.  I gave them a good WC last night and shortly afterward they moved the wigglers from the slate to the lift tube.  My heart sank when I saw the empty slate, but then I saw my female guarding a grey wiggily mass on the lift tube :)  It does my heart good to see parents swimming around with their fry.  I'm sure I'll be at work when the great mutiny takes place. I'll be on pins and needles all day.  I hope I come home to a beautiful sight. 

LizStreithorst

They did their best to mutiny last night but is was a long fought battle.  They claimed victory just after lights on this morning.  I can't take pics yet because every time mom and dad see me they start scarfing the mutineers right and left.  They aren't eating them because there always appears to be the same number of them, but I don't want to press my luck.

I think I might keep this pair around for a while.  I was disappointed in the turning ratio of what I considered my best pair.  I want to see what these guys produce.  After all, although I go nutso for a beautiful phenotype, I know that the proof of the puddin' is in the quality of fry they produce.

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Here they are. They finally got used to my presence.  The tank is still a disgrace.  I'll give it a cleaning Monday.  There's not a lot of fry but there weren't a lot of eggs.  I never caught the pair eating anything.  Check out the attitude of the male.  He's looking at my big face and my big camera with death in his eyes ;D

Mugwump

Ed and I have both got a pair of Koi with a very shy, docile female.....until.....eggs or fry are present....they then become godzilla's sister.....LOL......protective as can be.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on November 22, 2014, 04:23:26 PM
Ed and I have both got a pair of Koi with a very shy, docile female.....until.....eggs or fry are present....they then become godzilla's sister.....LOL......protective as can be.... ;D

Do you ever get the feeling that you should keep a pair?  I have that feeling with these.  I'd love to sell these and ask a pretty penny, but I'm afraid someone might buy them ::)