• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 03:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 789
  • Online ever: 789
  • (Today at 03:46:54 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 789
Total: 789

Wigglers without RO

Started by LizStreithorst, January 07, 2014, 03:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

since my RO died, I've been adding the 0 TDS water from the dehumidifier and rain water with tannins from fallen oak leaves into the RO container and using it to change the water for my hb pairs.  Wigglers today!  Only 50 or so, but wigglers none the less.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Great Liz.....are you straining the rain water, etc??.....just curious if there's much debris....I think Dennis runs his through a filter???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

No, I'm not.  The water has no obvious debris but it is cloudy.  I don't think it will harm them.  RO membranes and pre filters will arrive Friday.

GeorgeG

Good job Liz you must have quite of few fry now to select your future breeders in 6 months

LizStreithorst

Not yet, George.  I killed my RO membranes right after I had my first good spawn, and I need to weed the expressing from the non expressing this week end.  I'll be left with 20 some fish.  I hate killing otherwise good fish that aren't what I want, but what choice do I have?  I can't sell them. 

Trust me.  When I have fish for sale in mid May, they will be fish that are clean and meet my standards.

b125killer

That's awesome Liz, congrats on them.
Scott

PaulineMi

Congrats and continued success Liz.    Can hardly wait to see these beauties when they're fully expressing in May.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

GeorgeG

I would put the other non expressing in another tank or just leave them together an give them more time to change. Not everyone changes at the same time sometimes there are slow growers.

LizStreithorst

I decided that's what I'd do. Got the tank ready last night. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 11, 2014, 10:17:15 AM
I decided that's what I'd do. Got the tank ready last night.

Plus..a lot of times those non expressing will have expressing fry too.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I just separated the wheat from the chaff and I'm very pleased.  Almost half are expressing.

GeorgeG

That's good Liz give them some time.

LizStreithorst

I found another cull in the process.  One of the hb's.  It was one of the smaller ones so I bet it would have turned into a ps.  It had a twisted caudal.  I've never seen that deformity before.  I'd never seen a missing ventral either.  I can see Mug's point about not wanting the gene in his fish room.  But I like what I like and I'm stubborn.

GeorgeG

I forgot to ask what did you do to your R.O system, does it just need a new membrane don't go running to those over price resellers get your membrane here.

I have been getting mine from here for years.

http://www.wateranywhere.com/index.php?cPath=22_41_61

https://www.wateranywhere.com/index.php

LizStreithorst

Just membranes.  Someone on simple turned me on to Wateranywhere.com.  That's where I bought them.

As for those wigglers without RO they went free swimming yesterday.  I don't see hide nor hair of them so far this morning :(