• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 01:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 519
Total: 519

Magic Erasers

Started by LizStreithorst, June 17, 2016, 03:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I just heard that these are safe to use in the tank for wipe downs and do a good job on algae removal.  I have my doubts but I'v got them on my grocery store list for tomorrow so I can find out for myself.  Does anyone have experience using these things for wipe downs?
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Are these white board erasers?

LizStreithorst

I don't know what white board erasers are.  The ones I'm talking about are these http://www.mrclean.com/en-us/shop-products/magic-erasers/magic-eraser-original

BillT

I would have my doubts about using this.
I am guessing it has some chemicals in it for washing purposes (it says it has magic scrubbers- sounds like a chemical to me).
If you really want to try to, test on some expendable fish, or snails or something.

LizStreithorst

I will.  I have expendable fish.

Mugwump

I wouldn't use them...MSDS says it contains

https://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16003386

"Ingredients from MSDS/Label
Chemical   CAS No / Unique ID   Percent
Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium bisulfite copolymer   999999-89-1"

"Chemical Information
Chemical Name:    Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium bisulfite copolymer
CAS Registry Number:    999999-89-1
Synonyms:    ***No information available at this time***

Information from other National Library of Medicine databases
Health Studies:    ***No information available in HSDB at this time***
Toxicity Information:    
Search TOXNET"
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I use it to clean my toilet bowls and sinks. I wouldn't use it in my fish tanks.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

MSDS,good way to get info.

LizStreithorst

Thanks guys.  The make up of the product is rather worrisome.  I still want to try it on expendable fish and find out for myself.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I won't test it on the big Dots until after I send you yours, Mug. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 17, 2016, 07:37:08 PM
I won't test it on the big Dots until after I send you yours, Mug.

"Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium bisulfite copolymer" says don't even bother buying one... wfwf
Jon

LizStreithorst

OK.  I'd like to try it but I won't.

Is Jan still making those crocheted scrubbies?  I want to buy some huge ones.  I've 'bout worn out the ones you sent me a long time ago.

wiggs

Liz, I can make you some more. Give me a little time to find the nylon netting that I make it out of, I will have to dive into my craft closet to look for it... lol   even Jon runs when he knows that I`m going into my crafts.  lol 
Jan

LizStreithorst

That's very nice of you, Jan.  Your crafts closet sounds like Barb's  She told me once that hers was so full that when she opened the door things would fall out.