• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 07:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 533
Total: 533

Gases in water changes?

Started by Ron Sower, March 14, 2016, 09:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Thank you, again, Bill. The photos are helpful. Sorry for the late reply. I've kept this thread marked as unread to save it to review when I had time. I like several of the ideas the photos have given me.

I'm thinking what I want will be the bulkhead at the 30% drain-off level on the backside of the tank with a manual shutoff on the backside for draining and another bulkhead for the freshwater input with a manual shutoff as well. I will drain first, then shut the drain pipe off. Then open the freshwater valve to fill the tank. It will require watching to prevent overflow, which I do now anyway and is not a big deal...this is just one tank, not a fishroom full of them.

If I want a larger water change, I can just leave the drain valve open while the freshwater is coming in, although that won't let me know what percentage of the tank water has been changed.  And for the very seldom-done complete draining, I can use the Python or a water hose...!!!

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

If you have a bulkhead mounted on the side with a 90 degree angle fitting and a pipe going up to the water line, you can drain out some water by swiveling the fitting so the top of the pipe is lower.

Ron Sower

Quote from: BillT on March 18, 2016, 11:51:56 AM
If you have a bulkhead mounted on the side with a 90 degree angle fitting and a pipe going up to the water line, you can drain out some water by swiveling the fitting so the top of the pipe is lower.
Excellent idea...! Thank you!  I love having "brains" helping me out...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

That was always the way with bottom drilled tanks, you simply set the drain-down level by the length of the standpipe.

In my buddy Brian's system, 3 times a day water is added that is a couple of degrees cooler than the tank water.  The old warm water goes out the drain pipe.  It's fully automated so no muss no fuss.  Just depending on the duration of the fills he can do 100% changes daily and never touch a thing.   ;D

Dennis

BillT

There is a cool aquaculture trick that can be done if you have your standpipe drain going out the bottom.

Normally it water from the top would be drawn off when more water is added, but you can easily change that to draw water from the bottom of the tank (usually bottom water has more particulars etc.) by just slipping a larger diameter pipe over the standpipe such that the top of the larger pipe extends above the water surface. The water going down the standpipe will then be taken from the bottom of the tank. Water and debris will enter more easily if you make a few notches in the bottom end of the pipe.

Ron Sower

The bottom feed standpipe setup sounds great for fishroom tanks on racks. But at this point I'm only referring to a single display tank. The methods you're sharing are great, though.... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron