• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 05:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 542
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 525
Total: 525

This hose...

Started by LizStreithorst, December 11, 2015, 08:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My MD55 pump as 1" fittings for both input and output.. however I've had to cut it down to 3/4" on the input end because it would collapse every the thin walled 1" hoses, even reinforced ones.  I'm using a thick walled 3/4" hose but it's old and starting to crack.  (electrical tape has been my friend)  I was poking around and stumbled upon this hose.  It says it handles "full vacuum".  Does that mean that it won't collapse if all the air is sucked out of it?  If so, it's the hose of my dreams.  I want to be sure though because to reach every tank in the fish room I will need 3 of them and they ain't cheap.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EF0G8UM?dpID=410dhYHYb-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=AGHZX6Z7VNVPAPQ7T18Y&ref_=pd_lutyp_qpp_86_7_3
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 11, 2015, 08:02:01 PM
My MD55 pump as 1" fittings for both input and output.. however I've had to cut it down to 3/3" on the input end because it would collapse every the thin walled 1" hoses, even reinforced ones.  I'm using a thick walled 3/4" hose but it's old and starting to crack.  (electrical tape has been my friend)  I was poking around and stumbled upon this hose.  It says it handles "full vacuum".  Does that mean that it won't collapse if all the air is sucked out of it?  If so, it's the hose of my dreams.  I want to be sure though because to reach every tank in the fish room I will need 3 of them and they ain't cheap.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EF0G8UM?dpID=410dhYHYb-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=AGHZX6Z7VNVPAPQ7T18Y&ref_=pd_lutyp_qpp_86_7_3

I use the heavy black potable water RV hoses from Walmart....it's holding up well...about $18 for 50ft....this ad shows white but they have black there too..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Heavy-duty-Camco-50-foot-Fresh-Water-Hose-for-RVs/14504302
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I use that for filling my tanks that use RO.  I need a hose for draining with a pump that has a lot of suction.  That hose would collapse in a second.  You can cut off the water flow just by bending it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 11, 2015, 08:18:54 PM
I use that for filling my tanks that use RO.  I need a hose for draining with a pump that has a lot of suction.  That hose would collapse in a second.  You can cut off the water flow just by bending it.

can't bend mine......been using it for several years now.....possibly it's not the same as the link ?....but it was in the RV section at the store....black, thick, strong.....in the morn'n I'll see if a name, or something is on it...don't think so tho.....

could be this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NeverKink-50-Garden-Hose-Black/34399295

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I bet it's that one.  Still the diameter is 5/8" which is less that than what I'm using now.  I'm all about fast WC since I change water on all my tanks every day.

BallAquatics

Does that mean that it won't collapse if all the air is sucked out of it?

Yep, that's what it means.

Here's a 20 foot suction hose that's not priced so hateful.....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200654335_200654335

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 12, 2015, 06:12:29 AM
Does that mean that it won't collapse if all the air is sucked out of it?

Yep, that's what it means.

Here's a 20 foot suction hose that's not priced so hateful.....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200654335_200654335

Dennis

...nice find there Dennis....there's a store in Jackson that you may be able to order from too..?..or just get it online....great price..get two and use a "Y" connector to do a couple tanks at once??... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Hey, thanks Dennis!  How did I ever get through life without y'all's help?  I'll order 1 or those and 1 of the expensive ones.  I need 30' total.  I also found this.  It's what I have been wanting but I didn't know existed.  It will prevent me from sucking up gravel and having to take the pump apart.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329784_200329784

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 12, 2015, 07:09:06 AM
Hey, thanks Dennis!  How did I ever get through life without y'all's help?  I'll order 1 or those and 1 of the expensive ones.  I need 30' total.  I also found this.  It's what I have been wanting but I didn't know existed.  It will prevent me from sucking up gravel and having to take the pump apart.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329784_200329784

It looks like it attaches right to the hose end.....how would you attach the siphon head tube, etc ???
Jon

LizStreithorst

Oh my, I must not be seeing something ???  From what I see, I attach the strainer to the end I stick into the tank and the female end to the pump.  What am I missing?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 12, 2015, 07:28:08 AM
Oh my, I must not be seeing something ???  From what I see, I attach the strainer to the end I stick into the tank and the female end to the pump.  What am I missing?

yup...but I thought that you mentioned siphoning the gravel out too...???......and I don't see a way to attach a siphon tube....it'll work fine for just draining..
Jon

LizStreithorst

No, what I want is to avoid having gravel get sucked in the pump.  I only have a couple of tanks with gravel and I get close to it with the siphon tube so I can pull up poop and left over debris.  I always suck up a few pieces of gravel by mistake.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 12, 2015, 07:39:03 AM
No, what I want is to avoid having gravel get sucked in the pump.  I only have a couple of tanks with gravel and I get close to it with the siphon tube so I can pull up poop and left over debris.  I always suck up a few pieces of gravel by mistake.

...gotcha....I see... |^|  it won't work for me tho, I hit the gravel pretty hard every few weeks....regular changes we just 'dance' the top for debris...
Jon

LizStreithorst

The hose rocks.  the strainer didn't work for me.

LizStreithorst

I don't imagine that anybody but I needs a 1" hose, but here's the low down.  The green hose that Dennis pointed out is actually a 3/4" hose with 1" fittings although it was advertised as a 1" hose.  Pissed me off because it was not what they said it was.  I ordered 2 more of the real 1" hoses and boy oh boy can I drain water fast!  I can use the green hose at the shop for the 125 but I still feel like they misled me.