• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 11:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 915
  • Online ever: 915
  • (Today at 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 141
Total: 141

I have decided

Started by LizStreithorst, October 06, 2013, 12:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've wanted one of these forever and I am going to buy one.  http://www.jehmco.com/html/lph60.html  They are silent because they are insulated.  I have 4 of the same brand pumps but smaller capacity and uninsulated.  They are indestructible and require no maintenance.  They will still be working when I'm long gone. 

I love the ones I have.  They're not loud, but they do make a hum.  I prefer to hear only bubbles in my fish room.  I don't like hearing the equipment that makes it work.  I like seeing it, but I hate having to hear it.

The ones I have now are worth $50. each.  After I have the new one installed I will sell the old ones, so the pump that I have yearned for all these years will only cost me $50.  If anyone wants a pump that will last forever without maintenance and run 20 air devices, give me a holler in a couple of weeks.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

You''ll love it, I have the LPH 80.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

There is one bad thing with Jhemco which is also a good thing.  I made up my mind on a Sunday and they don't allow internet orders.  You have to talk to them on the phone.  I rather like that because everyone there knows all the details about the specific product you want.   I know what I want and know that it will make me happy, but it will be nice to share my excitement  with somebody on the phone.

I get my meds from them, too.  I can't do math and they convert grams per liter to spoons per gallons for me.  I kind of love them.    They make sure that I don't screw up and consider it to be part of the day's work.  Is that customer service, or what?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 06, 2013, 01:48:14 PM
There is one bad thing with Jhemco which is also a good thing.  I made up my mind on a Sunday and they don't allow internet orders.  You have to talk to them on the phone.  I rather like that because everyone there knows all the details about the specific product you want.   I know what I want and know that it will make me happy, but it will be nice to share my excitement  with somebody on the phone.

I get my meds from them, too.  I can't do math and they convert grams per liter to spoons per gallons for me.  I kind of love them.    They make sure that I don't screw up and consider it to be part of the day's work.  Is that customer service, or what?

That sounds like John, he's very good at what he does and knows the products well. He helped me immensely when I was redoing my air system....great service?....yep. I agree Liz, it's a super place to do business with....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It was a lady I spoke to when I last ordered from them.  It was a good while back.  I needed meds and she calculated  for me but checked with someone else to confirm her calculations.  They sure don't let you buy something from them and leave you flapping in the wind.

The mama bear says they are the best.

They don't sponsor any forums.  That in itself is cool.

LizStreithorst

The new pump arrived today.  I've read the installation instructions.  There is one thing they recommend that I am not going to do.  They want me to change all my 90 degree fittings to 2 45's.  It ain't going to happen.  I'm not used to 45's and I'm too slow a worker to leave the fish without air for as long as that will take me. 

They suggest making a closed loop.  Presently I have 3 20 unit pumps working each separate, but I can plumb them all together.  I just have to look at it all and figure out the best way. 

The thing they say that I don't understand...They want me to mount the pump above the highest water line of my tanks to prevent back flow of water into the pump in case of a power outage.  I don't see how this could happen since my air supply PVC is above all the tanks and air tubing goes down into the tanks.  I've had power outages before and water has yet to flow up hill through the air line and get into my pumps.  I can buy a PVC check valve, but I don't think that it is necessary.  Is it?  They want me to put the pump on a solid surface to prevent vibration.  What is more solid than my slab?

I sure was looking forward to getting this plumbed in over the weekend, but it won't happen because it isn't the only thing I have to do this weekend.  I will look at everything, decide what fittings and lengths of PVC I'll need to get it done, and do the job next week end.  As usual this little project will take twice as long as I thought it would.

BillT

QuoteThe thing they say that I don't understand...They want me to mount the pump above the highest water line of my tanks to prevent back flow of water into the pump in case of a power outage.  I don't see how this could happen since my air supply PVC is above all the tanks and air tubing goes down into the tanks.  I've had power outages before and water has yet to flow up hill through the air line and get into my pumps.  I can buy a PVC check valve, but I don't think that it is necessary.  Is it?

No. Your logic is fine.

Also if your pipe size is big compared to the air flow, 90˚ vs. 2 x 45˚ won't make much difference.

Barb

Good luck with it Liz.  I have never seen water flow uphill myself. 
Barb

BillT

QuoteI have never seen water flow uphill myself.

It can go up hill by capillary action in small diameter tubes (like air lines) under certain conditions. Not likely with larger tubes.
I am sure lawyers are always warning these guys about warning about possible floods to avoid people suing them.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BillT on October 11, 2013, 04:15:46 PM
QuoteThe thing they say that I don't understand...They want me to mount the pump above the highest water line of my tanks to prevent back flow of water into the pump in case of a power outage.  I don't see how this could happen since my air supply PVC is above all the tanks and air tubing goes down into the tanks.  I've had power outages before and water has yet to flow up hill through the air line and get into my pumps.  I can buy a PVC check valve, but I don't think that it is necessary.  Is it?

No. Your logic is fine.

Also if your pipe size is big compared to the air flow, 90˚ vs. 2 x 45˚ won't make much difference.

My supply pipe is 3/4".  A long time ago I used 1" but was told that it was a waste of money,  that 3/4 would work just fine.  I suppose that if I get reduced air flow or diminished air flow to some tanks after I have everything is installed, I can change to 45's one corner at a time.  If I go to all that work and it doesn't equalize the pressure I will be one pissed off lady.  Thanks.

BillT

My supply pipe is 3/4".  A long time ago I used 1" but was told that it was a waste of money,  that 3/4 would work just fine.  I suppose that if I get reduced air flow or diminished air flow to some tanks after I have everything is installed, I can change to 45's one corner at a time.  If I go to all that work and it doesn't equalize the pressure I will be one pissed off lady.

Think of how much air flow you have through those turns. This is the air coming out, which is presumably going through several airline sized tubings (3/16" ID) to airstones or whatever.
The cross-sectional area of a 3/4" pipe should be π*r2;, where r=3/8; giving: ~0.44 sq."
The cross sectional area of a 3/16" tube should be π*r2;, where r=3/32; giving: ~0.028 sq."
This is about 15 times smaller. I would expect 10-15 airlines to work OK.

The depth to which you can get bubbles is determined by the pressure delivered to the airline. The flow through the pipe has to be able to replace the volume of air leaving (via airstones etc.) to maintain a given pressure.
Air is much less viscous than water, so turns and the effects of resistance (due to a non-moving layer of water near the pipe surface) will be much smaller.

Instead of 45˚ elbows you might be able to find some flex PVC pipe at a pool/jacuze store. You could clip out your 90 and glue in a couple of couples on either side of the flew pipe. Flexible like a hose, glues like PVC and fits normal fittings, cuts with a pipe cutter. PVC fumes are not good for your fish, by the way.
Good for making large radius turns, not always good for pressurized uses.

LizStreithorst

I couldn't find the right flexible stuff.  Lowes had 1" hose for hot tubs which would accept PVC fittings.  I didn't like it and it cost a fortune.  Then they had these big rolls of flexible PVC. They looked perfect but they were BIG rolls and when the gentleman told me that they required clamps and didn't accept PVC fittings, that idea went out the window.

I decided to plumb it together the only way I'm comfortable with, despite the fact that the system has 11 90 degree turns.  It was a piece of cake doing it the way I know how.   And guess what?  Even having done it the retarded way, the pump puts out a huge abundance of bubbles.  I bet I could put 10 more air devices on it. 

You were right, Mug.  I love it.  I love it so much that I would marry it if it would have me.

BillT

QuoteI love it so much that I would marry it if it would have me.

Since it is making so many bubbles it there is a chance it might blow you off.

LizStreithorst

No way, Bill.  It loves me too.  It gets to strut if stuff for me to admire.

Mugwump

LOL...... ;D....did you get the extra air filter?....I've found it's easier to replace then wash/dry the used one...
Jon