• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 05:49:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 607
Total: 607

A question for the IT wise

Started by LizStreithorst, March 24, 2014, 06:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Since the NASCAC was down 50 points today (I hope they said 15 and I just misheard the radio) have any of you gotten more careful about internet security?  I haven't yet but I have started thinking about it.  NADAC's investors are taking it very seriously.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Are you referring to NASDAQ down about 50 pts??......internet security?.....always careful.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Sorry I misspelled it.  I don't read news, I listen on the radio.  Besides, I'm dyslectic and can't spell to save my life.

Have you gone as far as to wrap your cell phone in foil or covering your wallet in foil in case someone with ill intent scanned your credit  card numbers?  I don't do anything like that.   

The business people who invest their money in the NASDAQ are worried.  I know that they're worried about money and I'm thinking about personal security.  The commonality is that both are to do with internet privacy laws.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 24, 2014, 06:59:00 PM
Sorry I misspelled it.  I don't read news, I listen on the radio.  Besides, I'm dyslectic and can't spell to save my life.

Have you gone as far as to wrap your cell phone in foil or covering your wallet in foil in case someone with ill intent scanned your credit  card numbers?  I don't do anything like that.   

The business people who invest their money in the NASDAQ are worried.  I know that they're worried about money and I'm thinking about personal security.  The commonality is that both are to do with internet privacy laws.

Right now the market seems to more influenced by foreign behavior, that that here at home....oil pipeline spill, Texas oil spill....nary a move in the Dow...Putin burps, or Iran builds a ship mock up...boomba...the traders lose their minds....it's crazy...but the issues surrounding net neutrality are a bit worrisome for sure....a multilateral nations commission over seeing the internet here at home is scary.... the web as we know it will likely suffer from such junk happenings...
Heck, they haven't even finished updating/refining the copyright laws yet.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

I don't worry any more. I did at one time I had my pay-pal account wiped out and my criedt cards maxed out. It only took one mistake on my part when I was on line. I was buying things all over the world. That was a hell of a ride. It cost me a lot.It took 2 years to get that mess fixed. So I no longer have a pay-pay account and no criedt cards. I pay with cash or money orders. If I cant pay cash for it I dont get it.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

PaulineMi

Lifelock protected me from a $6000.00 fraudulent use of my credit card on Vegas dot com. It was traced back to China. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

ilroost

Jr, no paypal here any more for the same reason

EdKaz

I too went on a spending spree......in CHINA shortly after an online purchase that I DID initiate. LUCKY for me it was caught quickly and my card was cancelled, before I even knew it.

Anymore, My pay pal account is tied to a checking account/debit card that carrys a balance just big enough to keep it open ($25).

If /when I want to buy something online I toss just enough into the account to cover it

Ron Sower

Now you guys got me thinking about it.  I don't buy much on line though, but was thinking how convenient it is with Amazon and eBay. specially now that i'm mobility challenged for the next 6 weeks.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I'm rethinking, too.  I always thought that by paying with a credit card on PayPal was safe.  Apparently not.  Not quite sure how far I'll go with protection.  I'll start using money orders more, to start.

Mugwump

PayPal works fine if you do like Ed does(me too)....I never keep a big balance in there unless buying something....never had an issue, plus I keep my PP dollar limit set low too... Buying on Amazon/ Ebay...I use a 'Paypal' or an account that never has much in it...really....LOL...plus my bank account is set for a certain amount per day, unless I call/visit and set up a larger expenditure......
Jon