• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 02:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 578
Total: 578

TBAS Fish Auction

Started by GraphicGr8s, November 01, 2014, 06:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

So today the Tampa Bay Aquarium Society held their annual fish auction. Tons of bags of fish. The auction took hours. I left before it was over but I still managed to go over my "budget" a bit. Some of the cichlids were bid up over $90.
I've got a bunch of new livebearers to let into tanks.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 01, 2014, 06:54:26 PM
So today the Tampa Bay Aquarium Society held their annual fish auction. Tons of bags of fish. The auction took hours. I left before it was over but I still managed to go over my "budget" a bit. Some of the cichlids were bid up over $90.
I've got a bunch of new livebearers to let into tanks.

I'm not a big auction fan, preferring the swap meets...but there are some real bargains to be had at some of the auctions..... ;D  sounds like a nice score there.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

I've not seen a swap meet here though. We have an auction after every monthly meeting and I usually get something for a decent price.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

JC

I've been to swaps but not an auction. Not sure I'd be a fan of them but hey you never know

wsantia1

I have been to both and the swaps win hands down.  You often over pay to win those auctions.  The swaps have far more selections and you can bargain your price most times.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

I liked the auctions as far as a buyer.  I wouldn't want to sell at auction. There's too much risk. Also alot of people take there low quality fish to the auctions. It's a good place to dump unwanted fish.
Scott

GraphicGr8s

This auction had a few of the local farms participating. One of the farm owners is also a member. There were also a bunch of fish that aren't generally found for sale so for collectors it was a boon. I've been hit before with what I would call culls at the monthly meeting auction but I've also gotten some really great breeders.

ilroost

Love the auctions. You just need to get there early and look all the fish over.
Got some real deals. But you're right you gotta look them over or you will be getting culls.
Mostly i just love going and cutting up with the fellow club members. You know sit in the back row and have fun  LOL

greydragon

TBAS Auction are great i used to be a runner at them several years back

Ron Sower

Quote from: b125killer on November 01, 2014, 09:46:45 PM
I liked the auctions as far as a buyer.  I wouldn't want to sell at auction. There's too much risk.....

There is risk in the price you get for your entries also, at least at our monthly auctions. I've had some very nice entries of plants, fish and dry goods that have gone for almost nothing.

2 things I've noted that contribute to this:
1. A long-winded speaker and everyone is anxious to leave and they are hurrying the auction along
2. A low meeting turnout and there aren't as many people interested in your items.
I have had $50 items go for $3 or so. It's discouraging.
Plus, since we have such a large club, we are limited to 5 or 6 lot entries each month and sometimes I have way more stuff to move. Our semi-annual auctions (the bigger ones - total meeting devoted to them) allow more entries.

However, we have a 60/40 split and the 40 goes to the club, so at east the club gets something in financial support.

Swaps are my favorite though. That's why I started them here in the South Puget Sound region 2+ years ago. You can have control over you pricing, you can sell/trade as many items as you want, and you can chat all around the room with other hobbyists. Plus, there are some really good items brought in!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron