• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 02:06:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 547
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 520
Total: 520

The joys of being oblivious

Started by LizStreithorst, February 11, 2013, 11:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Yesterday evening tornadoes hit the town 20 miles south of me.  There was also damage in the town where I have my shop, 12 miles to the north.  I didn't have a clue.  I believed a weather forecast I heard late last week that we would have a ton of rain (I got 5"overnight) but no bad stuff.  I kept hearing the weather buzzer on my NPR affiliated station, but the radio was in the fish room, and it's a state wide network so I figured it had nothing to do with me.  The internet and TV went out because I get both via satellite.  I never lost power so I sat in bed happily reading New Yorker's  until I decided to go to sleep.

When I woke up, I found out that all hell had broken loose and that I never had a clue.  Barb called 3 times but my phone was in another room, plugged in.  Even my nephew emailed.  He lives in England!  I think that the moral of this story is that ignorance is bliss.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Glad to hear you weathered the storm in one piece.  I thought of you when the reports were released.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Oh boy....you dodged a bullet, and didn't know it......zounds, I'm glad to hear that you're safe and ok...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I think it would be a fine way to go out.  One moment sitting comfortably in bed, surrounded by warm dogs, reading the New Yorker; the next moment in OZ.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

It might be a fine way to go out, but I'm glad your safe and sound.
Scott

Barb

Glad you and dogs and cat and fish and horses are all OK.  House too!
Barb

Frank The Plumber

One of my little old lady customers decided to live in a nursing home, she was 97. She did not want to burden her family so she went in to live there. I visited her once in a while, on holidays and such. On one occassion she was very angry at the staff of the home.  She had been on the phone to her attorney and was having a very angry conversation while he was trying to calm her down. She was a few months short of 101 but still sharp as a tack and really strong. The reason for her anger was that when she had signed up for the home they had promised her all of the comforts of home. Her complaint was this which she angrily reinforced to anyone who was within 1,000 yards of her.

" On and after my 9th birthday my mother let me have a double shot of Jameson's before I lay down to sleep each night. I have never missed my daily dosage of my beloved tonic since that evening 90 plus years ago. I sleep like a new born baby, the world could end and I would have not a care nor a feeling for it and would awaken to sweet St. Joseph. These dirty sums of a  sumthin sumthins promised me all of the comforts of home...and now they have me trapped here and are stealing my tonic and will not let me out to have any. I have not slept soundly in the course of three weeks and if I do not get my tonic back I will die in a week." In her Irish dialect.

She died 6 days later.

I tried to save her but they patted me down and discovered the fifth I had in my jacket.

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

ilroost

Liz glad to see your alright. I have some friends in hattiesburg, they are fine but i guess one hell of a storm came through there

PaulineMi

The tornado was shown on the news a little while ago.  It was huge and caused a lot of damage.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)