• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 06:40:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 872
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 764
Total: 764

Why is this?

Started by LizStreithorst, November 21, 2014, 06:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

There are people who are afraid of PayPal.  Why is that?  Is it because that some evil hackers may break into them and steal their information?  I love PayPal but I know that one day some guy might outsmart their security. 

What do y'all think?  Do you use it?  Do you worry about using it?
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

I use it all the time when I am ordering online. I am happy with it so far. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

PayPal is great!  I use mine almost everywhere anymore.  Most of the websites I purchase from accept PayPal and those that don't, I can use my PayPal card.....

From the sellers side, their transaction fees blow any of my local banks right out of the water.  If I had a 'SMART Phone', I could even take credit cards at the swaps.  What more could you want???

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I love it, too.  It ain't done me wrong yet.  Some people are afraid of it.  I want to know what you think is up with their paranoia.

BallAquatics

I don't think people are paranoid, more like they are just behind the times.  I'd say about 10% of my fish sales are to folks that don't have PayPal and want to pay by check or Postal money order.  They are normally older folks and I assume they just don't want to go through the 'hassle' of paying through an on-line service.  I bet they don't pay any of their other bills using an on-line method either.

Dennis

Mugwump

PayPal is an excellent service.....It makes transactions so much simpler....I even use it for Postal fees for my boxes... ;D...and it keeps personal funds separate from the fish money
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 21, 2014, 06:52:40 PM
I don't think people are paranoid, more like they are just behind the times.  I'd say about 10% of my fish sales are to folks that don't have PayPal and want to pay by check or Postal money order.  They are normally older folks and I assume they just don't want to go through the 'hassle' of paying through an on-line service.  I bet they don't pay any of their other bills using an on-line method either.

Dennis

I think you nailed it, Mr. Spock. 

ilroost

Ok i admit, i am one who has never used paypal or payed any bills on line

JR

I wont use PayPal. I lost a great deal of money because of PayPal a few years back. They cleaned out my whole checking account in less than two days. It took over a year to get some of my money back from 5th 3rd bank. I still had to pay the over draft fees. That is why Idon't use PayPal or credit cards online any more. If they won't take a money order or cash I wont buy it.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

EdKaz

I have a friend that was WIPED OUT using paypal. Got into his bank accountS and cleaned him out.

Ever since than, I set up a separate checking account that carries a minimal balance for online and paypal purchases/transactions, and move funds into it as needed.

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on November 21, 2014, 09:35:06 PM
I have a friend that was WIPED OUT using paypal. Got into his bank accountS and cleaned him out.

Ever since than, I set up a separate checking account that carries a minimal balance for online and paypal purchases/transactions, and move funds into it as needed.

The only way to get wiped out by a PayPal account is to give out too much info about yourself, and/or your account numbers.....ya can't fix stupid non-awareness....no offense to your friend.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

Now Jon is that nice. That is not how it happend to me. It was on the banks end is how it got me. I was told it happens a lot and about 40% of the time it is the owner of the accounts fault. There is a lot of dishonest folks in this world.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on November 22, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
Now Jon is that nice. That is not how it happend to me. It was on the banks end is how it got me. I was told it happens a lot and about 40% of the time it is the owner of the accounts fault. There is a lot of dishonest folks in this world.

If it's on the bank's end then it's unavoidable, but the bank reimbursed you right?....I've seen most accounts were looted by scammers who tricked folks into revealing too much information. That can happen to folks who just don't know better, and...is not just a PayPal issue....so blaming one service just seems out of line...does it not??

..and yes, I was a little harsh....sorry to anyone offended...
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on November 22, 2014, 05:57:15 AM

Jr, my apologizes, I re-read the thread and saw what had happened to you. My comments were in no way meant to offend you.
  It is my opinion still, tho...that PayPal shines for it's service and security. As you have stated tho, banks and credit cards can be a nightmare sometimes, and that's sad because we've long relied, and trusted them for years, and years. What you went through was completely unacceptable.
Jon

EdKaz

QuoteThe only way to get wiped out by a PayPal account is to give out too much info about yourself, and/or your account numbers.....ya can't fix stupid non-awareness....no offense to your friend
QuoteI've seen most accounts were looted by scammers who tricked folks into revealing too much information.

Seriously? Go to your paypal account and take a look at the last transaction in which someone sent YOU money.

EVERYTHING you need to wipe someone out via paypal is there except........ the actual password to the account
EASY to fix that TINY..........no.............. make that MINISCULE................"roadblock".

Easy enough that a 17 yr old kid can STILL figure it out. 
http://smallbiztrends.com/2014/08/can-paypal-account-be-hacked.html

Google "paypal account hacked"...........422,000 results that branch off to MANY more complaints and stories of the SAME.................and how many 100's of thousand other hacked accounts and people bitchin on the internet about it, DONT show up in searches

Are we just Surrounded by "stupid"?........or by (in most cases) A  BUNCH OF KIDS with nothing better to do, and or have and continue to find ways to "strike it rich"?

In todays world of computers, NOTHING is 100% safe. Computer anti Virus definitions and operating systems are updated DAILY for that very reason............home wireless routers are easily hacked into

While  those that stand to profit claim "guaranteed", and "Hacker safe" safe transactions. ::)

Its a screwed up world we live in today.........read the article I pointed to, its dated Aug 2014.(just 4 months ago) People dont have to be "stupid" and "give out too much information".........KIDS/THIEVES are finding ways to TAKE IT without you ever knowing it...................until its too late.

Paypal has been around for 15-20 years and IS relatively safe............but an account can ABSOLUTELY be hacked........without being stupid....... or GIVING information away