• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 07:58:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 555
Total: 555

Dantum Albino Gene Location

Started by ghonk, December 03, 2015, 07:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

Back to the thread topic,i talked to a guy early this morning.
He did a Albino Dantum X Albino cross,and got all NON albino fry.
I saw pictures of BOTH parents,no doubt they are both albino.
I also saw a picture of the fry,non albino.And  also a picture of one of the fish from that spawn as an adult,again non albino.

He said he posted the results at the angelfish breeders facebook page,and also at the angelfish geek page.     

ghonk

So what do you think   Jon,now that another breeder said he got the same results from the cross.
Albino Dantum X Albino,no albinos in the spawn. 

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 08, 2016, 06:41:06 AM
So what do you think   Jon,now that another breeder said he got the same results from the cross.
Albino Dantum X Albino,no albinos in the spawn.

It was the same guy wasn't it ?....I know Carol has worked with them and hasn't seen anything.....but then again, her modus operandi is to out cross everything and breed back the 'hets'.....so she likely wouldn't notice anything anyway.... 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

No,another breeder.The first one any had one survivor from the spawn.
This guy had a bunch , a bowl full of fry.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 08, 2016, 07:24:10 AM
No,another breeder.The first one any had one survivor from the spawn.
This guy had a bunch,a bowl full of fry.

..didn't see that one....?...TAFII ?...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

He said he posted his results on the angelfish breeders  facebook page a couple months ago,i searched for it but couldn't find it.
He said he also posted it at angelfish geeks.

He sent me pics of both parents,no doubt they are albino.
He also sent me pics of the bowl of fry,and a pre breeder/adult and they were non albino. 

ghonk

If the albino gene is in a different location in the dandums,which in seems to be, it could get confusing in the future,once the dantums get crossed into more non dantum stock.

Maybe a new notation is needed,like ad/ad for a double dose dantum albino.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 08, 2016, 08:17:58 AM
If the albino gene is in a different location in the dandums,which in seems to be, it could get confusing in the future,once the dantums get crossed into more non dantum stock.

Maybe a new notation is needed,like ad/ad for a double dose dantum albino.

I'm afraid someone will need to crosses, etc..to prove what is going on...before adding and notations genetically   
Jon

ghonk

Yeah,to prove it at TAS i'm sure it will. :)
I wonder what crosses you would need to do,i sure hope you wouldn't have to add it to every genotype to prove it.

ghonk

Correction about something i posted earlier,going back over the conversation and pictures i had with the breeder.

The male used in the cross was a (HET Albino) NOT an albino.The breeder used a het albino that HE bred,the fish used was a result of a cross of a Albino Dantum (Angelfish USA purchase) and a pinoy.

The female used in the cross was a albino pearlscale.

This still should have produced 50% albinos in the spawn,if the dantum gene was in the same location.
I don't know what the hatch rate was,but seems doubtful that no albinos would have survived hatching.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 10, 2016, 11:34:05 AM
Correction about something i posted earlier,going back over the conversation and pictures i had with the breeder.

The male used in the cross was a (HET Albino) NOT an albino.The breeder used a het albino that HE bred,the fish used was a result of a cross of a Albino Dantum (Angelfish USA purchase) and a pinoy.

The female used in the cross was a albino pearlscale.

This still should have produced 50% albinos in the spawn,if the dantum gene was in the same location.
I don't know what the hatch rate was,but seems doubtful that no albinos would have survived hatching.

....or he picked the wrong 'het'..... huh
Jon

ghonk

All of the fish from the Albino Dantum X Pinoy cross would be het albino.
Unless you are saying he got his fish mixed up.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 10, 2016, 12:04:26 PM
All of the fish from the Albino Dantum X Pinoy cross would be het albino.
Unless you are saying he got his fish mixed up.

yup....could be..??   huh
Jon

ghonk

That's possible,but i sure hope not since i'm trying to buy in from him. :(
He hasn't responded yet,but i'm guessing he will keep it.

ghonk

Nope ,won't sell it,hopefully getting some siblings.