• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 08:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 537
Total: 537

Taking The Leap

Started by PaulineMi, April 12, 2015, 02:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on April 14, 2015, 08:51:13 AM
Quote from: PaulineMi on April 14, 2015, 08:45:07 AM
Day two....as of this morning they're still fanning the eggs. 

Do you leave a night light on for them?  I did last night.....

I do.....it does help ....they won't spook when it go's on/off.....later on, after free swim, a room light will work ok....

Okay...makes sense. Thanks.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

PaulineMi

Round one down....eggs were an apparent midnight snack.  :o  Even though the spawn looked good the TDS was higher than I wanted it, at 260, down from over 350. Now there will be a chance to continue lowering it. Around 100 should be good, right?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

Sorry.  Give them time.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 15, 2015, 07:26:30 AM
Round one down....eggs were an apparent midnight snack.  :o  Even though the spawn looked good the TDS was higher than I wanted it, at 260, down from over 350. Now there will be a chance to continue lowering it. Around 100 should be good, right?

TDS's around 100 should do fine... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Practice makes perfect, they will figure it out.

Dennis

wsantia1

Sorry you lost the eggs Pauline. Could they have moved them? If not, I am sure they will get it right next time.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 15, 2015, 05:28:19 PM
Sorry you lost the eggs Pauline. Could they have moved them? If not, I am sure they will get it right next time.

No eggs anywhere. I'm trusting that they'll eventually figure it all out.

PaulineMi

They've spawned again today. I have the TDS down to near 100 using chilly RO water at the rate of two to four gallons per day. Have been feeding them live black worms in addition to their regular flakes and pellets. So now it's up to them to not eat the eggs again.  ::)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 20, 2015, 04:57:12 PM
They've spawned again today. I have the TDS down to near 100 using chilly RO water at the rate of two to four gallons per day. Have been feeding them live black worms in addition to their regular flakes and pellets. So now it's up to them to not eat the eggs again.  ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 20, 2015, 04:57:12 PM

I have my fingers crossed for you Pauline. I think they will get it right this time.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ghonk

They can't possibly be any dumber  then my Dantum pair.

PaulineMi

Quote from: ghonk on April 20, 2015, 07:16:07 PM
They can't possibly be any dumber  then my Dantum pair.

Dantums...mine lays a line of eggs on the tank glass and the two of them eat the line of eggs. They repeat that for the entire spawn.   :o

What do yours do?

ghonk

Once they ate the fry right before free swimming,every other time they either eat them as they hatch,or more likely the eggs right before hatch. 
They never eat the eggs  for the first couple days,start picking off the bad one and the next time i look they are all gone.

Female sure does a lot of fanning for nothing,i though about pulling the male to see what happens.
BUT i would have to pull the fry anyway once free swimming,so i  can  feed them.

I think she will lay again soon,pulling them for sure.

PaulineMi

If this RN/SI spawn is successful when can I start slowly returning the tank water to its natural aged state, straight from the tap? It's well water. I've been using RO water to get the TDS down to 100 from its normal 350. I've read that fry grow well in hard water (source...discus forum). 

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 21, 2015, 10:20:04 AM
If this RN/SI spawn is successful when can I start slowly returning the tank water to its natural aged state, straight from the tap? It's well water. I've been using RO water to get the TDS down to 100 from its normal 350. I've read that fry grow well in hard water (source...discus forum).

I'd start about a week after free swim, thus giving them a chance to grow/eat a bit.....then they'll be fine with the gradual change over..
Jon