• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 02:36:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 618
Total: 618

GBR spawn...

Started by Mugwump, March 01, 2013, 06:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

It appears that we have a spawn??....it's a flat rock and difficult to see. I put the rock amongst some water sprite..I'll try to get a better look this morning. I'm guessing that we looking at a few days before they hatch...free swim a few days later....we'll see... ;D..I'm hoping it's not a false alarm, or wishful thinking....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

That's cool, Are you letting them parent raise or did you pull the spawn? Good luck with them.
Scott

Mugwump

Might be a false alarm...???...but a lot of chasing going on in there at the moment.....something's going on...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I love GBRs!  My LFS ones ended up with HITH and it was painful to lose such little beauties. I'd be interested in some if you end up with babies.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

OMG! I was feeding my rams and seen daddy fanning his eggs and mommy chasing the other rams away. So far they seem to be doing a good job at parenting. I'm going to let them have this spawn to see what they do.

Sorry to hear about your rams Pauline. I have heard that most rams at the LFS are imported from Asia and are pumped full of hormones. 
Scott

Mugwump

Nice, Scott.....good luck
Jon

b125killer

I went to look at there spawn a stupid snail was on them just munching away. I lost about half of them. Mommy and daddy where still chasing off the other rams and didn't pay any attention to the snail. I hope the snail liked his last meal. I put it in with the clown loaches.
I'm going to clean the substrate out and get the snails out of there tank now. I was thinking of changing there substrate to sand. I was reading that it's easier for them to make a nesting pit in the sand for when they move the fry.
Scott

ilroost

love the pict. scott
good luck with the rest of the eggs

b125killer

They didn't make it. It seemed that after the snail they just didn't want anything to do with the eggs. I cleaned there tank out. I hope i got all the snails out. I also gave them a sand bottom. It's easier to replace the substrate than try and pick snails out of the old stuff.   
Scott

b125killer

It looks like the rams had a party in there tank. I have two sponge filter in there and they both have eggs on them. too bad they aren't showing me who did it. I have slate all over that tank. There is nice big pieces on the sand and littler pieces all over the decor. Why do the fish always spawn on things that I don't want to take out of the tank? I also would like to be invited to there party. I guess it was a private party. 
Scott

b125killer

I was cleaning the rams tank and found out that they had  spawned on a piece of slate. I didn't notice it until I pulled the slate out of the water. I went to clean the "sand" off the slate and it didn't feel like sand. A closer look and I could see that they were eggs. I think it's bad to have the eggs in the open air, they where only out for a second before I realized what it was. I wasn't to sure what to do so I put the eggs in an egg tumbler. My 2.5 gallon tanks are being used, I also knocked some of the eggs off the slate. Not to sure How this will work out But maybe I'll get lucky and have some fry. :-\   I do like the white sand in there tank. I think the rams also like the sand. they dig little pits in it all the time. The only problem is there eggs look exactly like the sand.   
Scott

b125killer

So far things are going good in the egg tumbler. I had to clean out a few bad eggs but it's looking promising. I'll know tomorrow for sure. The should be wigglers by then. 
Scott

Mugwump

Cool.....good luck..
Jon

b125killer

I have wigglers ;D I almost can't believe the egg tumbler worked. I turned the air up a little to video them better. If you look hard you can see them wiggling :) I have to be careful with that tumbler. I can suck the fry through the screen. 

Scott

Jdmcfast

Good luck Scott! I wish I had the tank space to raise some of mine they keep spawning but are in a community tank where the eggs don't make it too long:-[

Josh

Josh