• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 12:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 615
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 591
Total: 591

Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dwellers) - With fry

Started by P4Angels, October 19, 2012, 05:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

These are the coolest fish I have ever had.    I feed and do water changes.  They change the landscape daily I never know what it will look like from day to day.... 

One of the small shell-dwelling cichlids endemic to Lake Tanganyika. Their unique behavior is associated with their affinity to shells. They burrow sand to move shells, take refuge in shells and also breed in them. They have pale white coloring with black vertical bars running the length of their bodies. The species is monomorphic, meaning sexing individuals is extremely hard or impossible.

In the aquarium trade N. multifasciatus are commonly known as "multies" and are moderately popular. Stores specializing in fish or quality fish stores will at least be aware of shell dwelling fish even if they are not stocked at that time. They are not as popular as larger cichlids but because they are suitable for smaller tanks and due to their prolific nature they still are widely available.

Tank requirements are very similar to other African cichlids, an example is the Mbuna. Unique requirements include a sandy substrate for burrowing and the placement of shells. A tank should have at least one shell per fish, ideally two.

Two other species of fish are similar to N. multifasciatus, Neolamprologus similis and Neolamprologus brevis. The three species are similar enough that stores normally sell them all under the common name "shellies" or "shell dwellers".
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Nice...they're really something, what do you feed the fry??...I like the algae growth, I let my ,BN and cory, grow out fry tank load up too...they devour the stuff between feedings....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

Ron Sower

My new litle guys are feeding on spirulina flakes, Tetramin flakes, chopped frozen bloodwoorms, and frozen daphnia.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

P4Angels

P4Angels2

These are such amazing little critters...I was mean today and got into the tank and cleaned it then of course couldn't help my self but to smooth out the coral a little and readjust the shells.....sure fun to watch them scurrying around looking for their shells and their kids!! but alas it sure didn't take long for them to start moving the coral around again....have to see if I can talk Aron into taking a picture again in a week and then in 2 weeks just to see what they have created..... :D :-* :-* :-*

Ron Sower

My colony is doing well Aron/Lori. I see that yours tend to swim in the mid-level area.  Mine seldom leave the bottom. Same with the brevis.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

sschind

A very cool fish indeed.  I've gotten fry several times but so far only three fish have ever made it past the stage where I really have to look for them.  I know I have fry in the tank right now and there seems to be a few more than in the past so maybe my colony is just getting established enough where I have more than one reproductive pair and they are laying more eggs.

Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB