• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 22, 2024, 12:13:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,365
  • Total Topics: 18,546
  • Online today: 848
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 777
Total: 777

Dantums not pairing

Started by ghonk, July 28, 2015, 05:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

I have 5 offspring from my dantum pair that are now 13 months old,and still show no signs of pairing.
I feed them well,but probably should be doing more water changes,which i plan on stepping up soon if i have the time.

I know some wild types  take longer to mature,if these carry wild blood which i believe they do maybe that is the cause.But if i remember correctly David said his paired at the rate of domestics.

If the water changes don't help the only other thing i can think of would be to get  a proven female to throw in and see if that strirs things up.

I doubt it is likely,but wonder if it's possible that dantums throw  a disporportionate number in the sexes.
At one time Jon had 5 and though they might all be males,i got 2 from him,the male from my current pair,and the other which i no longer have looked like a male judging by  it's shape.

Pauline ,do you notice more males in the two groups that you have,or are the last ones you got still to young to guess at?
I know you had at least 1 female from your originals,any  other females that you know of from those? 

Mugwump

While the originals had a wild cross, from there it was all sibling breeding mostly, to my knowledge anyway. I think that David is right that they should pair and breed like domestics, at least by now.....
I wondered about there being a lot of males too.....it seemed odd that out of the 5, I didn't see any females.....but...things happen when getting fry so young, they're difficult to sex at that stage....plus I doubt they even tried to mix the sexes....
You're right, best chance is to toss in a known female and watch for any response.....another female will chase her, the males will posture....you could get an answer that way..?? 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

greydragon

well if they wont breed for you,you can always send them to me lol

Mugwump

Quote from: greydragon on July 28, 2015, 12:09:28 PM
well if they wont breed for you,you can always send them to me lol

LOL.....a good solution for you, huh?.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I have what appears to be two males and two females. One female deposits eggs on the tank wall and the other female follows along and eats them. There has never been an interest in pairing up between the males and females.

I have some younger Dantums that are growing the beautiful fins....looking like the adults but they aren't showing much body growth. Not sure what's going on with them. Can't tell their sex.

I do at least two water changes per week and they're in a bare bottom tank.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on July 28, 2015, 05:24:25 PM
I have what appears to be two males and two females. One female deposits eggs on the tank wall and the other female follows along and eats them. There has never been an interest in pairing up between the males and females.

I have some younger Dantums that are growing the beautiful fins....looking like the adults but they aren't showing much body growth. Not sure what's going on with them. Can't tell their sex.

I noticed that the ones that I had grew every time I plopped em in a 'different' tank.....if I left them in a 55 it seemed like very little/slow growth...moved em to the 60 breeder and they jumped in size...then stalled,,,,popped em back to a 55 and they grew again...then stalled again.......back to the 60.....yada yada....
Jon

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on July 28, 2015, 05:45:21 PM

I noticed that the ones that I had grew every time I plopped em in a 'different' tank.....if I left them in a 55 it seemed like very little/slow growth...moved em to the 60 breeder and they jumped in size...then stalled,,,,popped em back to a 55 and they grew again...then stalled again.......back to the 60.....yada yada....

Is that unusual?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on July 28, 2015, 07:41:32 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on July 28, 2015, 05:45:21 PM

Is that unusual?

yes, normally I can grow fry by graduating the tank size by growth, splitting them up as I go....those just grew when changed to similar tank sizes....our tanks do have some algae/snails now and then, but we diligently change the water.....so fry grow well by this method of bigger tanks as necessary....those... ???.....any new tank set off growth....
Jon

PaulineMi

I've never had a growth stoppage like this before. They don't look stunted...just miniaturized.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on July 28, 2015, 08:14:23 PM
I've never had a growth stoppage like this before. They don't look stunted...just miniaturized.

...move em, watch em grow again.... ;D
Jon