• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 12:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 597
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 597
Total: 597

Discus Pics

Started by b125killer, July 01, 2015, 07:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Thanks Liz, your discus are amazing.  And they get better looking all the time.
Scott

Barb

Beautiful Scott!  I see you really know what you are doing with keeping Discus.  And good luck with some use of those new pottery pieces.
Barb

BallAquatics

Very nice Scott, you can tell you are making them happy.   ;)

Dennis

Ron Sower

Vibrant display of colors..!! :o
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Very nice job Scott. They look great in that tank. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

Thanks guy's,  Barb the Synodontis petricola love your cave. All three of them fit in it and they don't come out much. Unless there's food involved. They also stay out of the pleco cave. I couldn't be more happy with it.
Scott

PaulineMi

Scott how are you cleaning the bottom of your tank ..... substrate and between, under and around the plants and hardscape? I always found "stuff" collecting in those areas and got paranoid about it being unhealthy. Are you "swishing and siphoning"...do you use any kind of pump for water changes? How often do you do maintenance?

I tore my discus tank down to nothing but Barb's cones when I got my current discus about a year and a half ago. They're happy and healthy...I'm anal about a spotless tank for them.  :-X  I siphon the bottom a couple times a day, pre-feeding. Now that their grown out I do the big water changes twice a week. Your tank looks so nice it makes me want to 'scape mine but should I mess with success?

Two of my angel tanks and the CPD/shrimp tank have plants, driftwood and substrate and it's a nice environment for them. It's also pleasant to watch them in that type of setting. I sure like what you've done with your discus tank.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

I do 25% water changes daily. I siphon the sand and clean between the plants weekly.  The synodontis petricola and cory cats also do a good job keeping underneath the plants clean. It's the wood that collects the most dirt. Theres no way for the cats to get under it. Every so often I run my hand through the sand bed. It helps trapped gasses escape.  I do have a pump set up for the water changes. The only real problems I have is peppering on the pb discus.  But with the planted tank there going to get it. If I put them back in a bare bottom tank the peppering will go away.
Scott

PaulineMi

Thanks Scott. The biggest surprise in your response is that you are keeping synodontis petricola in  the discus tank. I sold all of mine along with my African cichlids. Now I see they can be kept in warm water.  I wish I still had them.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

The  synodontis petricola came from Jim Lehner, If I remember correctly. He had them in with his discus at high temps. There a neat little fish. mostly keeps to them selves and active at night. so I don't see much of them. There's also a few pairs of L144 longfin plecos in there too. 

I also have enough filtration on that tank for a 500 gallon tank. there's two sun sun canisters with uv, they have a surface skimmer attached to them. and three sponge filters. 
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on September 03, 2015, 07:39:46 PM
The  synodontis petricola came from Jim Lehner, If I remember correctly. He had them in with his discus at high temps. There a neat little fish. mostly keeps to them selves and active at night. so I don't see much of them. There's also a few pairs of L144 longfin plecos in there too. 

I also have enough filtration on that tank for a 500 gallon tank. there's two sun sun canisters with uv, they have a surface skimmer attached to them. and three sponge filters.

Dayam, Scott.......tanks filtered good, huh?..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I just wanted to make sure I had it covered. It's also nice to have backups for the backups. the sun sun filters are big enough to handle a 200 gallon tank by them self's. 
Scott