• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 07:03:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 577
Total: 577

I have Been thinking...

Started by b125killer, June 06, 2015, 01:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I need to find space for my wonderful pb discus.  These guys are growing like a weed! I think it's almost time to get them out of there 40b. Here's my problem and what I want to do. I have the 150 gallon tank with 5 adult discus.  In time the pb discus will be put in there with them. There still to small to compete with the bigger discus. I was thinking of getting a piece of acrylic and dividing the tank. Then it will essentially be two 75 gallon tanks. Then I'll clear out the sand and go bare bottom on half the tank.  That way I can still keep the tank nice and clean with 50% daily water changes. And shouldn't have to worry about stunning the little cuties.
I'm thinking of using .220 thick acrylic with suction cups. I found these cool double suction cups made for dividing tanks. I was thinking of using glass, then i need to drain the tank and let it sit. Also would have to put the 5 adult discus in with the juveniles for a few days. I don't really want to stress them out if I don't have too. I think the acrylic will be easier and faster way too go. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
Scott

Mugwump

I think the acrylic will be easier....plus you can drill holes in it for water flow between the tanks..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm a proponent of elbow room for Discus, but I have my 7 in a 29 gallon along with a Beta and I don't think they are overcrowded.  It could be that yours have grown faster than mine.  You do seem to have the touch with Discus.  Could you post of pic of them in the 40?
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

They still have some room to grow. I'm just planing ahead. I need to order the suction cup things.
Here's what the suction cups are: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-5-5mm-Thickness-Glass-Suction-Cup-Support-Holder-3-Pcs-White-/371305013559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item567380e137
Scott

LizStreithorst

They have more room than they need for now.   I had 10 in the 29 until a week or so ago.  The smaller tanks makes for more competition for food. 

I have a lighter colored one, too.  I like it but like yours it's smaller than the others.

b125killer

Are the lighter colored one going to be silver pb?
Scott

LizStreithorst

I don't know, Scott.  It's what I'm hoping.  Since I sold all of this pair's last spawn and haven't grown any out myself we will find out together. 

b125killer

I'm kind of thinking they are. They don't have the same pattern or as much coverage as the darker ones. I hope so too ;D
Scott

LizStreithorst

I wish they weren't so dang small.

b125killer

I got them into there new home. They have more space to move around now. Hopefully they will grow strong like bull! The bigger discus didn't like the move. They had to deal with the mess and the sand settling. I hate disturbing the sand bed. 

I tried to clean the glass. thought it looked pretty good until I take a picture. They have only been in there a few hours.
Scott

Mugwump

Sweeeeeeet pic, Scott.....that's a pretty discus
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

They look good but a bit lost in all that water.  You do a great job, a better job than I do with mine.  You don't need me to advise you.

b125killer

He's half, a few darker ones have the full pattern. The whiter ones have a few spots. and this guy is half covered. They are growing nicely. I'm so happy with them.

Thanks Liz, That means a lot coming from you. They'll fill up that space in no time. I measured the biggest one today. he's pushing 4" there growing incredibly fast. But they do look a lot smaller in there new tank.   
Scott

b125killer

I fed the discus for the first time in there new set up. I kind of feel bad but it was so funny too. I fed the little guys first. The discus on the other side was trying to get through the acrylic and eat. When I fed the big ones, some worms rested next to the acrylic. The little guys where trying there hardest to get to them. It was so funny, they had worms behind them. I guess they think the worms are better on the other side. I'm going to try and time it to feed them all together tomorrow.   
Scott

wsantia1

Great job with those Discus Scott. And really nice pictures too.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.