• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 09:33:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 565
Total: 565

Redoing Discus Tank

Started by b125killer, April 01, 2015, 08:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I have a friend that is trying to start up a small aquatic plant business. I'm getting a few plants from her this week. So I decided to redo the discus tank. So far I took the plants out of the terracotta pots. and replanted them in a shallow terracotta bottom plate. I filled them with Captain Bob's Plant-Tastic and capped it with sand and larger pebbles for a rock garden effect. I do have a question, Should I put the new plants in a q.t. tank? or how should I go about getting them ready for the discus tank. Most of my plants come from Mark so I wasn't worried about them. the new plant's I have to question. I don't want to introduce any bad things to this tank. 

Scott

Mugwump

"Always err on the side of caution" is a good adage. Soak em in a big bucket to check for vermin...then plant them in a tank with a 'Judah' fish to see what happens...a week or so's time will put your mind at ease.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

sounds good to me. I happen to have a Q.T. tank with a few cories that are getting ready for the discus tank. The plants will be soaked for hitch hikers then placed in the q.t. tank. when the cories are ready in a few more weeks the plants should be good to go. I would stick them in the planted tank but then they would get snails all over them. I don't want snails in the discus tank.   
Scott

Mugwump

I took advantage of Mark's sale on sword varieties...5/$20...told him to surprise me... ;D  I may add them to the 130...??....the anubias love it in there, as well as the ferns...and that's a deep tank too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Ya I love Marks plants, This plant order was kind of doing a friend a favor. They should be in tomorrow, I'll let everyone know if it's worth there time and money to try her plants. Honestly, I didn't think she knew that much about plants to start a business with them. but I have been knowing to be wrong before. I do know that she has somewhat of a limited selection of plants. but her prices were alright. If the plants are too my liking, I might see if she can get a Leopard Sword. Mark can get them but there $40 dollars. I don't want to spend that much on a plant. but I have said that about fish too. 
Scott

PaulineMi

Quote from: b125killer on April 01, 2015, 09:01:12 PM
Ya I love Marks plants, This plant order was kind of doing a friend a favor. They should be in tomorrow, I'll let everyone know if it's worth there time and money to try her plants. Honestly, I didn't think she knew that much about plants to start a business with them. but I have been knowing to be wrong before. I do know that she has somewhat of a limited selection of plants. but her prices were alright. If the plants are too my liking, I might see if she can get a Leopard Sword. Mark can get them but there $40 dollars. I don't want to spend that much on a plant. but I have said that about fish too.

And then one gets discus.... :o  lol
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Quote from: b125killer on April 01, 2015, 08:26:48 PM
I have a friend that is trying to start up a small aquatic plant business. I'm getting a few plants from her this week. So I decided to redo the discus tank. So far I took the plants out of the terracotta pots. and replanted them in a shallow terracotta bottom plate. I filled them with Captain Bob's Plant-Tastic and capped it with sand and larger pebbles for a rock garden effect. I do have a question, Should I put the new plants in a q.t. tank? or how should I go about getting them ready for the discus tank. Most of my plants come from Mark so I wasn't worried about them. the new plant's I have to question. I don't want to introduce any bad things to this tank. 

kDiscus folks dip new plants in a weak PP solution but I think it's unlikely that plants will transfer any pathogens to the Discus. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

Forgive my ignorance is pp potassium permangate. I have never worried too much about plants. So i haven't treated any before. I do have to say i have never had any problems with plants. I just don't want to risk the health of my discus. I already worry too much about them.

Pauline I was woundering if anyone would catch that part about spending that much on a fish. Lol ;D :o
Scott

LizStreithorst

PP is potassium permagniate.  Discus folks use it for cleaning up external parasites.  It does a great job.  If I were you I wouldn't worry about the plants.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on April 02, 2015, 07:47:19 PM
Forgive my ignorance is pp potassium permangate. I have never worried too much about plants. So i haven't treated any before. I do have to say i have never had any problems with plants. I just don't want to risk the health of my discus. I already worry too much about them.

Pauline I was wondering if anyone would catch that part about spending that much on a fish. Lol ;D :o

...because to the rest of us.....it's just normal behavior by now.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Jon