• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 09:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 566
Total: 566

Discus Question.

Started by b125killer, September 11, 2014, 09:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

There is something wrong with the pb discus. the base of his fins are bright red and you can see it in his head. His feces isn't clear and stringy but it is a reddish color. He still begs for food and is active. the water parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0 temp is 84 deg. and they get a 50% water change everyday. The water is filtered and aged. The other discus get the same treatment. there all doing great. I'm so glade I quarantined these guy. I would of been crushed if he got the others sick.
Scott

Mugwump

I guess it could be the beginning of a color morph....but I'll wait for the discus folks to chime in....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

That would make me feel better but it's not my luck.
Scott

LizStreithorst

It doesn't look right to me but I don't know what's wrong.  Is that a lesion behind his gill?  I'd ask on Simply if I were you.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

Your right Liz, it doesn't look right to me either.  I don't think that's a lesion, It just how red it's getting. I also don't think it's a color morph. If it is that's the wrong color for him. He's still doing good other than the redness. If he must be sick he needs to show me more symptoms. All I can do is the water changes and hope he gets better.

I did post this on simply this morning. No one seems to want to answer it. Maybe because I'm new there? That's no way to make friends >:( and probably why I only like Jon's forum ;D.
besides Liz, your smarter than the the people on Simply.  I trust you way more than a stranger!
Scott

LizStreithorst

I'm not smarter than Paul.  If Incognito or however he spells it responds, ignore his advice.  I will email Paul and ask him to help you.  He lives in England.  There is a 6 hour time difference.

Did you fill out the stupid form?  If not, you must.  Otherwise you get a lot of people telling you to fill out the form. 

From what you have said here, you are keeping this fish in ideal conditions.

b125killer

Yep, I filled out the questions.  I just want to know if the little guy is okay, or if I'm being paranoid.  I have a tendency to do that.
Scott

LizStreithorst

I'll go to simple now, copy the link and email it to Paul.  The fish don't look right to me but if it's acting normal and eating well, it's likely something easily fixed.

Barb

Scott, the redness in those areas is usually sign of an internal bacterial infection.  Your fish will need a good antibiotic, maybe Furan 2.  Hopefully you can save it.  Be sure to do plenty of those water changes we discus folks are always doing. Best to do the treatment in a qt, unless all fish are affected.  Good luck,
Barb

LizStreithorst

I think that Barb is right,  but if I were you I'd still wait for Paul before you treat,  You can get the meds you need anywhere.  Even Walmart sells it in fizzy tabs called "Fungus Cure"  (god only why they call it that when it treats bacteria).

b125killer

I already him in q.t. they were doing good for the first week. I put in a sacrificial lamb and the three have been In the tank for three weeks. They were doing good up until a few days ago. If I do have to treat this guy should put him in a another q.t. tank and treat him alone? Or treat the other two in that tank?  I hope I have better luck with him then I do with sick angels, I just can't seem to cure them.
Scott

b125killer

I still haven't heard anything on simply about him. :-\
Scott

LizStreithorst

If I got it right, this is a little unusual.  Generally you introduce the sacrificial lamb to see it the new fish make the existing fish sick.

I would treat as Barb suggested and I would treat the sick fish only.  Keep an eye on the others for a week and if any more show symptoms treat the lot.

I'm sure that Paul isn't giving you the cold shoulder.  It's the week end and he may not have checked his email.

b125killer

Thanks for your help Liz and Barb. I have him in a 10 gallon q.t. tank and started treating him. I hope he makes a full recovery.
I was thinking that also Liz that the new discus should make the other one sick. It's kind of good that he showed it now. I was going to put them in with the others this weekend.
Scott