• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 08:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 590
Total: 590

Questions for Liz

Started by b125killer, July 19, 2014, 07:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I have finally put on my big boy pants and want to know the faults in my discus. I trust Liz and her opinions and promise my feelings will not be hurt. If I don't know what to look for how can I get better at raising them. I do have one that I think looks better then the rest I have a few pics of him. I just feed them too so there fat, dumb, and happy!
Snake skin cross. I'm still not sure what he will look like full grown.

Dark Blue Angel

Fire Red, I can see plenty of faults with him. I don't like how the fore head looks. on the plus side he is coloring up. 

blue snake skin cross. This one has the same parents as the first pic. I think out of them all this one is the best. and my personal favorite.   

Please anyone can comment on them. good or bad, I need to know what I'm looking at. and I have a biased opinion on them. I'll also post the pics on Facebook and everyone on there will tell me how pretty they are. They don't count, most of them aren't fish people so there looking at the colors and not the fish. 
Scott

LizStreithorst

They're really too young to judge but the best ones are the ones in the last pics that you call SS cross and the one in the first pic.  The one in the second pic looks a little too pointy.  You're right at this point about the Fire Red but it may change as it matures.

BTW, the last two are actually Turks.  SS's throw a percentage of Turks.  Don't worry about the lack of color in.  Turks and SSs are always slow to color up.

They all look happy and healthy.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

Thank's Liz, will the second pic grow out of that? I do have a few more like him that isn't that pointy. They are going to there new tank tomorrow. this will be there last home and hopefully the last tanks I have to move.  It's a 72 gallon bow front. I'm waiting for the bottom paint to dry and it can be set up.
I was right about Facebook, as soon as I posted the pics I had two likes. non fish people just don't look at fish the same way.   
Scott

LizStreithorst

Discus change as they mature.  I have my doubts about two..  Give them time.  They might prove me wrong.

b125killer

Thanks Liz, for your honest answers.  I know some people have a hard time hearing what's wrong with things. I know that some of my discus aren't the best. But it's what I could afford to work with. Hopefully if I can start breeding them I can get better stock for future pairings.
Scott

LizStreithorst

You got them as little babies.  You are growing them out well.  Be proud of them.  You have already done what most newbie Discus people  can't accomplish.  Keep and watch them all.  IMHO, your eye should be on the Turks and the first fish that appears to be a Blue Scorpion which is a SS cross.

b125killer

I am proud of what I have done with them. I have seen the fish room that they where from. I knew from the start they weren't the most ideal specimens. But they were small and I was hopeful that I could work with them. I have to thank Jon for the knowledge I have gained in breeding. If it wasn't for him I could and wouldn't of knowing what to do.
I think you are right too, the blue scorpion and turks are the best out of them all. It will be intresting to see them grow out now there in the big tank.
When I got the blue scorpion and turks I didn't know what they where. I was just told it's a ss cross. Thanks for telling me what I have.
Scott