• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 05:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 581
Total: 581

Discus fry 2.0

Started by b125killer, April 27, 2014, 09:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I must be a glutton for punishment. I went over to see the parents of the fire red discus fry. I ended up leaving with 4 more discus.
I got 3  Stendker dark angel and he gave me a snakeskin cross. They don't look like much but here they are. the snakeskin cross was hiding. I don't have a pic of him yet. he looks the same as the other ones. When My son seen them he asked why I was putting corn flakes in the fish tanks.
Dark Angel

Fire Red

Scott

LizStreithorst

good.  Discus do much better in groups/  With little ones, the more fish the happier they are.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Best of luck with these little guys Scott.  A nice group you have there.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

Thanks Liz And Pauline.  So far everything is going great. There eating like pigs. And getting daily water changes.  It's a much better experience then the first time around.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Are you feeding BBS?  At quarter size you should be.  It's time to introduce them to other foods, but BBS should be the main food at this size if you want to raise them to be big and round.

b125killer

Yep they get bbs in the morning and crushed tetra color bits at night. I feed heavy at night that way they can snack on it when I'm at work. I tried blood worms but they didn't eat any of them. I have been doing 50% water changes. Yesterday and today I did 80%. I might start doing 80% from now on. It's not like it's that much more water. I'm just trying to not stunt them now. I want them strong like bulls ;D
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on May 03, 2014, 09:09:10 PM
I must be a glutton for punishment. I went over to see the parents of the fire red discus fry. I ended up leaving with 4 more discus.
I got 3  Stendker dark angel and he gave me a snakeskin cross. They don't look like much but here they are. the snakeskin cross was hiding. I don't have a pic of him yet. he looks the same as the other ones. When My son seen them he asked why I was putting corn flakes in the fish tanks.
Dark Angel

Fire Red

Sair, also, has siblings of your Koi pairs from me.. ;D....I'm not sure where he gets his discus tho...did you ask??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Its kind of good they don't like bloodworms..They get addicted to them and wont eat anything else. While thats not a scientific fact its fair warning.  Ask Liz.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

I'll have to remember that Pauline,  thanks for the warning. 
I was watching  your koi female spawn with another koi male. He said the male came from angelfish usa. Sair said he got a few pairs from Hans and some from David. Sair has 15 breeding pairs. It was neat to see big breeding discus in person. Most of the discus I see are small.
Scott

Mugwump

He must have expanded his fish room ...all he had was the small room for a long while...and a tank upstairs...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

It's still small just has lots of tank packed in it. And he keeps the room at 90 degrees.  I was sweating like a pig in there. I don't think I could stay in it and do water changes. I also found out why he had cull fish at the swap. He can't dispose of them. I don't know if it's his religious faith or just doesn't have the heart.  But he lets nature take its course.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 04, 2014, 08:30:15 PM
Its kind of good they don't like bloodworms..They get addicted to them and wont eat anything else. While thats not a scientific fact its fair warning.  Ask Liz.  :)

That has not been my experience, Pauline.  I have never experienced addiction to FBWs. 

If these were my fish, I would feed them 4 times a day doing a small water change after the dirtiest food and a larger one at the end of the day.  I'm not over the top as far as Discus breeders go.  I promise.  I know how to get the best out of the little ones.  Live CBW's are controversial among Discus folks but I'm a huge fan of them.  I know that they're costly but IMO they are the best food for little kids other than the parents' slime coat.

He're is a pic of my last successful spawn back before I got that damned virus.  In this pic they are 45 days old.  Look at the shape for their age.  Look at their fat bellies

b125killer

There pretty  Liz, Unfortunately with my work schedule, I'm not able to feed 4 times a day everyday. I could do it Friday through Sunday. I do try and get the water changes done after I feed  bbs. I think they eat all the dry foods. I don't see any when I feed them the next time. I also have the same problem with angel fry.
Scott

b125killer

I'm getting them fed three times a day and doing water changes twice a day. There growing like weeds and starting to see a little color.  ;D
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on May 07, 2014, 08:57:17 AM
I'm getting them fed three times a day and doing water changes twice a day. There growing like weeds and starting to see a little color.  ;D

...very nice... ;D....good job  ;D
Jon