• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 04:01:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 566
Total: 566

Discus fry 2.0

Started by b125killer, April 27, 2014, 09:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I'm not sure if anyone remembers or knows about the first time I tried this. I didn't know a lot about what they needed and it didn't end well. I put small fry in a 55 gallon planted tank with angels. The temp in the tank was too low and they couldn't compete with the angels for food. This time around I have them in there own bare bottom ten gallon that I just panted the bottom white. The temperature is at 88. I'm also slowly drip acclimation them.There also a bit bigger then the last ones, but not by much. I'll be doing massive daily water changes on them too. I'll see if they will eat bbs tomorrow. The guy I got them from said that he's been feeding them Tetra color Granules. I also got frozen blood worms and brine shrimp I could try. I think they may be too small for that. Maybe it will go a little better this time around.
Scott

b125killer

I got them into there tank. Everyone seems good. I feed them a little and they acted like it was there first time eating.
Scott

Mugwump

Nice....raise em strong like bull  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

The discus are still doing good. I had to put  a 150 watt heater in a ten gallon tank to get the temperature to 88 degrees.  Also the multies are doing  better in there biggger tank. They don't sem to want to hide as much. The aggression has went down too. Maybe they'll start to spawn now.

Scott

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Sounds like things going real well Scott.  ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

How big are these babies, Scott and how many of them do you have?  What strain are they?  Why have you set the temp so high?  Best of luck with the little 'uns.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 28, 2014, 01:28:00 PM
How big are these babies, Scott and how many of them do you have?  What strain are they?  Why have you set the temp so high?  Best of luck with the little 'uns.

I wondered about the temp too....84 is about right, correct....?
Jon

LizStreithorst

84 to 86 is fine for little ones.  I keep my adults at 82 to 84 and breeders at 82.

b125killer

The fry are the size of a quarter, there is 4 of them. He gave me the last of what he had for $10.00. It was 5 but one was a cull and ended up as fish food. The strain is fire red. The guy told me to set the temp at 88. I was thinking 86 it's at 87 right now. I'll turn it down to 86. I was thinking that was high but it's where the guy said to put it.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Fire Reds are a Stendker strain.  The guy you purchased them from likely bought the parents from Hans.  Stendker fish are very hardy.

b125killer

Scott

P4Angels2

mine managed to raise about 12 out then 4 days after free swimming they started picking at their cone again and before I knew they had eaten their fry!! They didn't get much of a chance to grow past torpedo size!!! What's the earliest that they can be taken away from mom and dad?

LizStreithorst

The parents will spawn again and eat the few unless there are 25 to 30 fry.  If you feed the San Francisco strain of BBS the fry should be able to take them at three days.  When I have that few fry I let nature take it's course.  I believe that the fry need their parents for a couple of weeks if they are to reach their potential.

P4Angels2

they don't seem to have more than a dozen or so fry!! this is the first time they went this long with them!!