• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 10:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 609
Total: 609

Ubuntu upgrade

Started by BallAquatics, February 14, 2016, 07:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

My wife's computer has just been sitting around for months now.  So I thought I'd fire it up and run it a bit.  Well as it hasn't been in use, there were Windows updates.  Took about an hour to download and get everything updated.

I thought I'd run the system for a bit, but I didn't want to set-up a new account for myself and all that, so I just popped another hard drive in.  It had been a while since the hard drive had been installed in a computer and it turned out that it had an old copy of Ubuntu installed on it.  As luck would have it, it popped up a message stating I had an old out-dated version and did I want to upgrade the operating system to the latest version of Ubuntu.  In about 30 minutes, the entire system was updated and all my software worked and nothing was lost.

It amazes me that Windows has been around 25 years and takes an hour just to apply some patches, while the first release of Ubuntu was in October 2004, and it can update the entire operating system in half the time.  It's FREE too!

Dennis