• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 11:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 517
Total: 517

My disgraceful ponds

Started by LizStreithorst, November 23, 2012, 03:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I once knew a guy who raised fish outdoors in 5 gallon buckets.  He referred to them as "ponds".  By his standards my ponds are fancy.

I put water containers outside to invite mosquitoes to breed in them.  I wanted to give my Discus a free live food that they love.  The first year, I got some mosquito larvae but I got frogs and toads, too.  I started seeing the occasional tree frog on my office window, hunting.  I heard them singing their hearts out right outside by bedroom window at night.  It gave me such delight that I decided to give up on the mosquitoes and do it for the tree frogs.

This is what my containers look like in the fall.  There ain't much going on in them now so I leave them alone.  In the Spring I dump out all the crap but don't scrub them down.  I fill them to the top with waste water from my breeding tanks which are close to 100% RO. 

The light colored container is outside the fish room.  It gets a bit of filtered sun in the heat of.  The darker container is outside my bed room window and gets very little sun.  Those are the ones that sing to me at night.  They have such a large voice in so a small package.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I was considering a kiddie pool...the ones with the solid sides, about 2ft deep....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Dang pics were too large.  This site's picture size restrictions bugs the hell out of me.  Sorry :-[
Disregard the rant.  If I were smart enough to figure out Photo Bucket my problems would be over.  I've resized them again.  Fingers crossed they'll go...

Mugwump

Looks good to me....nice pics....what kind of leaves....oak/maple??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

They look perfect for raising tadpoles and mosquitos Liz.  But how do you dump them?  Look way too heavy to pick up, must just tip them or something?
Barb

LizStreithorst

Oak.  White Oak.  We're too far south for Maples.

LizStreithorst

I just tip them.  It's not hard.  Lift up and water flows out.

Jo

That is cool Liz! Would not have thought of that.
Jo