• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 07:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 543
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 537
Total: 537

My backyard ponds.

Started by Barb, November 21, 2012, 07:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

I have a 2000 gal. pond right next to the backyard porch, dug it myself with a bit of help from my husband.  It is 3' deep and the sides are dug almost straight up and down to keep wildlife from wading into it and eating my Koi and goldfish in there.  Mainly coons and herons here. 

No plants in it, the fish would eat them.  I have 8 full grown Koi, 4 are Japanese koi and 4 are butterfly koi, plus abut a dozen goldfish of all sizes.  They are all healthy and I have grown them all from small babies.  Most are about 10-12 yrs old.  If they stay healthy I will need to put them in my will. 

Will post a few pics later on.  I also have a little frog and plant pond with a spitter in it to keep the water moving and something fun to watch.  All filtration on both ponds are my own design after having store bought filters all fail for one reason or other.  My worst pond experience was a cracked and badly leaking filter, emptying out the pond (at least 500 gal. gone) during a bitter cold day in Feb.  It was a cold and irritating day.  Had to rebuild a filter with freezing cold and wet hands and feet.  A bad day.

I have lots of pond stories, will tell you the snake story some other time.
Barb

Mugwump

Great...I need some pointers on filtration...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Barb your pond sounds great! Can't wait to see pics and here more stories about them both.
Jo

b125killer

Did you dig it out with shovels? sounds like a lot of work. Can't wait to see pics.  How long do Koi live?
Scott

Barb

Yes, shovel by shovel full.  Took many days.  My husband hauled it all away in a wheelbarrow, but I did all the digging.  I think we counted 125 wheelbarrow loads.  Koi can live to be over 75 if well cared for.  They easily live as long as a healthy human.  Even plain goldfish can make 25 easily.
Barb

Mugwump

Nice pond, Barb....I like that....little walkway and plants.....very nice...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Scott

Mir

<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

LizStreithorst

Barb is very tallented.  She does a whole bunch of different things well.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Thanks for the kind comments!  Right now is a lot of pond work, thousands of leaves falling into it.  Mostly tulip poplar and Japanese maple.  I have to net out hundreds twice a day.  And even then lots get sucked into the pump strainer.  When people say don't put a pond under trees they are absolutely correct!
Barb

Jdmcfast

I've always wanted a backyard pond, yours looks very nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

Jo

Quote from: Barb on November 23, 2012, 04:01:57 PM
Yes, shovel by shovel full.  Took many days.  My husband hauled it all away in a wheelbarrow, but I did all the digging.  I think we counted 125 wheelbarrow loads.  Koi can live to be over 75 if well cared for.  They easily live as long as a healthy human.  Even plain goldfish can make 25 easily.
Barb

That is so beautiful! Man 125 wheelbarrow loads of dirt! You are the woman! That is a lot of work.
Jo