• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 12:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 479
Total: 481

Somehow Monday's coffee...

Started by Mugwump, December 08, 2014, 06:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...can be the best of the week  ???  Cold and rainy here...a little sleet/rain/ice...no real accumulation expected tho....but it does look miserable outside...some fish room putz'n, and then relaxing...hauling all that water and equipment uses many tired and old muscles...LOL...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

We have a Nor'easter coming this way tonight and tomorrow.  Not cold enough for snow though. ;D ;D ;D Getting the rest of my sponge filters in today. ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully I can go all or mostly sponge by the end of the week.  Need to make sure these sponges are seeded before I pull out the HOBs. ::) 1st pot of coffee already down the hatch. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 08, 2014, 06:46:25 AM
We have a Nor'easter coming this way tonight and tomorrow.  Not cold enough for snow though. ;D ;D ;D Getting the rest of my sponge filters in today. ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully I can go all or mostly sponge by the end of the week.  Need to make sure these sponges are seeded before I pull out the HOBs. ::) 1st pot of coffee already down the hatch. ;D

You can squeeze out the hob filter media into the water when introducing those sponges...that helps seed em quicker...even in a bucket first....otherwise they'll take awhile to get well seeded....

2nd pot here too.......;-)

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2014, 06:55:41 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on December 08, 2014, 06:46:25 AM

You can squeeze out the hob filter media into the water when introducing those sponges...that helps seed em quicker...even in a bucket first....otherwise they'll take awhile to get well seeded....

2nd pot here too.......;-)

Great suggestion about the HOB media. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

I haven't check the weather reports yet but otherwise I'm on the same program as you Willie. The forum has made me realize there is no need to kill my back pulling big canister filters out from the cabinet under the show tank for cleaning.

Yesterday Doug and I discovered that mice had made nests underneath the hoods of our cars! We'd actually been driving around like that. Thank goodness no wires were gnawed apart.

The squeezing of the media would be an economical way of going around the "bio in a bottle" purchase that really works. Good suggestion Jon.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 08, 2014, 07:03:10 AM
Yesterday Doug and I discovered that mice had made nests underneath the hoods of our cars! We'd actually been driving around like that. Thank goodness no wires were gnawed apart.

LOL...when we lived out in the farm house...I had them little rascals (mice) get into my old Jeep...they chewed the firewall insulation and made a nest......the way I found out was..one very cold day I flipped on the defrost for the windshield and insulation 'cotton balls' flew out and created a 'snow storm' inside the cab.....LOL.....that junk was flying and floating all over the place...LOL.....surprise!!!!!!!!....it was terrible getting most all that crap out of there...weeks later a clump would fly out at random...LOL....
Jon

Barb

I have had mice nests in our garage and my pottery studio.  Those little teeth sure can chew up and make a big mess for their nests. 

My new filtering system of just sponges is doing great.  I wish I had always done it this way, sure would have saved a bunch of money and work for the past 40+ years of fishkeeping.  Live and learn, sometimes takes a long time to finally get it right.  You should see the fancy and very expensive and detailed filtration that some of the people at Simply Discus are doing.  All they really need are sponges, good air pumps, and water change hoses.  All high tech is not needed.
Barb

Mugwump

Well now it's snowing the BIG flakes.. :o :o....lotsa them.... 8)
Jon

ilroost

Keep that snow up there. kinda cold here but it's only raining

Mugwump

It put on a show, then changed to sleet, then back to rain/drizzle.....
Jon