• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 03:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 450
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 323
Total: 324

This is so frustrating

Started by LizStreithorst, April 27, 2015, 05:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I had a wonderful shear sharpener.  He was local and came by the shop.  I can't tell you how great he was.  He charged $25. per shear but it was more than worth it.  He told me that his trick was that after using the diamond wheel he finished the edge on these hugely expensive stones.  He finished my shears in my shop because I wanted to see so I know it's true.  The edge that he put on my shears would cut your skin but it also lasted and lasted and lasted.  The guy up and died on me.  I have been searching but cannot find anybody who uses the expensive stones to finish.  There is one more place but they closed just before I  called.  I don't mind sending my shears off.  I don't mind paying a big price.  All I want is someone who can do an excellent job.  Finding this should not be so difficult.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

sorry to hear he died. It's is so frustrating finding people to do work for you when they don't care about details.
Scott

LizStreithorst

At least he died of a heart attack.  It was totally unexpected and he didn't have to suffer.  He was a nice man.

LizStreithorst

I found somebody!!!  Precision Sharp in Pennsylvania.  They responded to my inquiry this morning.  They use a diamond wheel and hand finish with a Japanese water stone.  Sent my shears and some blades off today.  I feel certain that I'll be happy with them.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 28, 2015, 03:44:44 PM
I found somebody!!!  Precision Sharp in Pennsylvania.  They responded to my inquiry this morning.  They use a diamond wheel and hand finish with a Japanese water stone.  Sent my shears and some blades off today.  I feel certain that I'll be happy with them.

BOOMBA !!!!!..all is right in the shear world again.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I know that it sounds silly that I am so picky but the quality of my work depends a lot on the quality of my tools and equipment, and my livelihood depends on the quality of my work.

LizStreithorst

Back when I was searching for a sharpener I even joined a human hair forum and asked there.  Somebody answered and said that she sharpened her shears by cutting aluminum foil several times with them.  I swear to God, she actually said that.  There I was looking for someone with a diamond wheel and a Japanese water stone, and she does it herself with aluminum foil :o :o :o

Still, I won't know I until I try it.  I have some shears I bought when I was new and stupid that I never use.  I might as well cut aluminum foil with them and find out ::)

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have nothing to loose.  I'm looking forward to doing the experiment.  I should have given or thrown these away years ago.  I bought them through a catalog may be 25 years ago before I understood how important is is to get shears to fit your hand,  These don't fit (shanks way too long for my stubby fingers) and they aren't good quality.  They looked good but they weren't good.

Ron Sower

My cousin-in-law in Wenatchee, WA is a hairdresser and he spends a great amount of $$$ on shears and sharpening.  So I know a little about your needs for the right tools and right sharpening.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

I have some cheap and now dull scissors, I can hardly wait to cut some foil with them!  I will report back here with my results.
Barb