• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 02:05:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 447
Total: 447

New rig...

Started by Mugwump, April 20, 2015, 02:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Well finally got this thing running along side the old XP mach........weird....it won't let me get to AOL.....online...??....I'll try firefox...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on April 20, 2015, 02:14:12 PM
Well finally got this thing running along side the old XP mach........weird....it won't let me get to AOL.....online...??....I'll try firefox...

Any computer that won't let you get into AOL is a winner.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Unfortunately,  I have had AOL for many years, started with it in the early 90's....My email addy is there for family, etc....it's about the only reason that I keep it around....too much trouble to change the addy.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on April 20, 2015, 02:47:54 PM
Unfortunately,  I have had AOL for many years, started with it in the early 90's....My email addy is there for family, etc....it's about the only reason that I keep it around....too much trouble to change the addy.....

There were some if us that stayed away from the big giant octopus known as AOL. I've got one customer that still uses it.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 20, 2015, 03:09:03 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on April 20, 2015, 02:47:54 PM

There were some if us that stayed away from the big giant octopus known as AOL. I've got one customer that still uses it.

It wasn't bad at first...don't kid yourself......but now,  everything's loaded with garbage.....
Jon

GraphicGr8s

I did have it. Once. For about 20 minutes. When I had dial up. Then I went to a real ISP. And filled my garbage can with all the cds they use to mail. Some of the cases were pretty nice though. But there always appeared these tentacles. Now I feel like squid for dinner.

BallAquatics

I first signed up with AOL back in 1989 or 1990 and it rocked!!!!!  That was long before the Internet or even Windows.  It was part of a graphical OS called GeoWorks.  It ran on 8 & 16 bit IBM XT class machines.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_%2816-bit_operating_system%29

At the time, I had a deluxe Super-16 Bit XT with a 20MB hard drive.  Most systems at the time simply had two 5.25 inch floppy disk drives.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 20, 2015, 03:50:00 PM
I first signed up with AOL back in 1989 or 1990 and it rocked!!!!!  That was long before the Internet or even Windows.  It was part of a graphical OS called GeoWorks.  It ran on 8 & 16 bit IBM XT class machines.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_%2816-bit_operating_system%29

At the time, I had a deluxe Super-16 Bit XT with a 20MB hard drive.  Most systems at the time simply had two 5.25 inch floppy disk drives.

Dennis

I think that I signed up about then too....win 3.1.....LOL....DOS that worked too...
Jon

BallAquatics

Yep, Windows 3.1 came out in April 1992 and ran on top of DOS.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Win 3.1 did run under a DOS kernal. Since Win 2K they are running under the NT kernal. Whole lot more stable. Every server I have runs with a Win version, usually XP. Things are pretty dog gone stable considering how large the files I send to it are.

I had the Geoworks for the Commodore 64. A highly underrated system. I taught myself how to program games and Tax software for personal use in ML on it.

I want to say my first email program was Eudora.

BallAquatics

Yep, until Windows 95, you had to install DOS first because Windows ran on top of it just like any other DOS program.

NT was king when I got my systems engineering credentials.  IBM's OS/2 was better than anything Microsoft has put out, but at the time IBM acted like Microsoft does now and thought they could dictate to the end user.

If you would switch to a linux based server you'd never look back at anything Microsoft puts out.  LOL  Even something as plug-n-play as FreeNAS beats MS offerings even when run on meager hardware.

Don't get me wrong, for years I was a big supporter of Microsoft.  If it wasn't for Bill Gates' vision, computing would be very different from what it is today.  Sadly though, Elvis has left the building and Microsoft is a joke compared to what it once was.....

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 20, 2015, 08:27:35 PM
Yep, until Windows 95, you had to install DOS first because Windows ran on top of it just like any other DOS program.

NT was king when I got my systems engineering credentials.  IBM's OS/2 was better than anything Microsoft has put out, but at the time IBM acted like Microsoft does now and thought they could dictate to the end user.

If you would switch to a linux based server you'd never look back at anything Microsoft puts out.  LOL  Even something as plug-n-play as FreeNAS beats MS offerings even when run on meager hardware.

Don't get me wrong, for years I was a big supporter of Microsoft.  If it wasn't for Bill Gates' vision, computing would be very different from what it is today.  Sadly though, Elvis has left the building and Microsoft is a joke compared to what it once was.....

Dennis

Didn't 98 also require DOS first?

While my doc server on my machines actually run a version of linux Fiery does not. And as far as I know is a WinTel machine only. There are two ways to access my printers. One uses Ricoh's linux but the backbone is still Fiery.
Photoshop as far as I know won't run reliably on Linux. Nor will InDesign or Illustrator. I have enough trouble with people sending files that don't work without me fixing them. I don't need more aggravation. Then add in punisher <<publisher>> oh bother.

Don't get me wrong, in the scheme of things I am a Windows person. I understand it and when it goes awry I can fix it.
That being said  MS had one thing going for it. A great carnival barker named Bill Gates.

I stopped fixing and building systems and repair work 10 years ago. I was all up in it for a few years then one day I just stopped. Haven't kept up with more than I absolutely have to to do my job. Don't even keep up with photoshop anymore and people thought I was a "guru". Hell even Adobe kept inviting me to pre public testing. Then one day I turned them down. Haven't cared since and haven't upgraded past 5.5 even though I did the testing on CC for a while.

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 20, 2015, 08:34:42 PM

No, with Widows 95, and Windows 98 DOS was built right into the install.  That way they LOOKED to be complete OS's.  Windows Millennium was the first consumer Windows OS based on the NT kernel while Windows NT was geared towards business.  Windows 2000 replaced NT in the business sector and then when XP was released there was XP Pro for business and XP Home for regular consumers.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 20, 2015, 08:47:34 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 20, 2015, 08:34:42 PM

No, with Widows 95, and Windows 98 DOS was built right into the install.  That way they LOOKED to be complete OS's.  Windows Millennium was the first consumer Windows OS based on the NT kernel while Windows NT was geared towards business.  Windows 2000 replaced NT in the business sector and then when XP was released there was XP Pro for business and XP Home for regular consumers.

Dennis

2K was the next iteration of NT. It still has the NT kernal. So does XP IIRC.

Sad to think at one time I had the ability to boot into any one of 10 versions of Windows 3.1 WFW up to XP on one system. Some idiot said I couldn't do it. Today I can't. Not that I actually want to.

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 20, 2015, 09:19:23 PM
Sad to think at one time I had the ability to boot into any one of 10 versions of Windows 3.1 WFW up to XP on one system.

These days it's much more efficient to use a hypervisor and run virtual systems rather than using a boot manager.....

That's what I do when working on client projects.  I can run an entire virtual Windows network on my IBM workstation running Debian 8.  I've even got a virtual Linux server with the LAMP stack for web development projects.

Dennis