• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 11:05:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 530
Total: 530

Anybody else sell on ebay.

Started by sschind, January 19, 2016, 10:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sschind

I just started again after several years off.  I listed 10 different Green Bay Packer bic lighters and stated clearly in the description that only 5 of them worked.  They sold for $15.00 with free shipping.  Today I get a message from the buyer saying 5 don't work and she wants them replaced or a partial refund.  Then she sends another saying she read the description and I should disregard her previous message and that she just assumed that if she was buying lighters they would work.

Then she leaves me "positive" feedback saying "If I sold disposable lighters I'd sell ones that work" I responded that the description clearly states 5 do not work.  When things are all done I'll see if I can get the feedback removed.   I don't think it will matter because I think I'm done with ebay again.  I quit before because some buyers were just a PITA and now with the newly raised shipping rates it makes it even harder to make it worthwhile unless you are happy making a pittance on your items. 

I offered here a refund anyway if she wanted to send them all back but I wouldn't refund her return shipping since the items were described accurately. 

It ticks me off that people can't or won't read the description (or signs for that matter but that's a different matter)

Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

ghonk

I sold 40-50 items on ebay,been lucky that i haven't had any complaints yet.
Haven't run  into any non readers,well not that i know of. :)

I bullet proof pack everything,if it gets damaged and i end up having to refund their money,AND eat the shipping cost, i might as well throw the shit in the garbage.

Ron Sower

Not eBay, but most of my stuff I sell on Craigslist. That way I don't need a packing station and packing materials. I know people that do sell on eBay, but, unless it is a high priced collectible, I don't see how I can make enough to make it worth my while.  A young man and I had a business partnership once for about a year. We cleaned out vacant houses, estates, etc, bought storage units, and he sold part of the better, smaller stuff on eBay while I sold the larger stuff on CL. It worked well for us. He was a hardworking kid and we had a good friendship; and for awhile I had another cute little temporary cutie granddaughter.

He did complain a lot about the buyers and their expectations.

Craigslist buyers?  You just know there are going to be some flakes there!!! Plan on it. Count on it...! Meet up at a public parking lot in the daylight or well lit at night!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

I've never used Ebay...and quite frankly, neither have I used Aquabid....dealing with idiots is not my strong suit.....LOL   I have used Craigslist and Bookoo locally and both have been fine, so far......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on January 20, 2016, 09:36:27 AM
I've never used Ebay...and quite frankly, neither have I used Aquabid....dealing with idiots is not my strong suit.....LOL   I have used Craigslist and Bookoo locally and both have been fine, so far......

I forgot Bookoo...used them too.  Military all around this area!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 20, 2016, 09:38:12 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 20, 2016, 09:36:27 AM

I forgot Bookoo...used them too.  Military all around this area!

Bookoo has chapters all over....no military here, but a nice Bookoo following....friendlier folks too... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I have bought stuff on ebay. All went well. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

I haven't sold anything lately, but in years gone by, I sold hundreds of Red Cherry Shrimp and computer CPU chips.  When E-Bay stacked the deck against sellers I move aquatic sales to AquaBid and dropped my on-line computer hardware sales.

Dennis

ghonk

I think the biggest risk when selling on ebay is receiving payment,which will likely be paypal.
Paypal  now gives buyers up to 6 MONTHS to file a claim of not as described,which is beyond ridiculous.

So your money is held hostage for that amount of time,the buyer can break it,destroy it or even just get tired or it,and paypal is going to refund their money out of your account. 

BillT

I am sure they take the interest on the money they are holding.

ghonk

You get paid,but if a buyer files a not as described ,paypal will put a hold for that amount on your paypal account ,or your bank account if your paypal account doesn't have the funds, your bank account is linked to your paypal account.

What i recommend,and need to do myself. :)
Is to have a separate  back account that you use only for paypal ebay transaction.
After the buyer receives the item, give them a SHORT amount  of time to bitch about it not being right.
Then remove the money from that bank account,paypal can't put a hold on something that isn't there. 

sschind

Quote from: ghonk on January 20, 2016, 12:56:43 PM
I think the biggest risk when selling on ebay is receiving payment,which will likely be paypal.
Paypal  now gives buyers up to 6 MONTHS to file a claim of not as described,which is beyond ridiculous.

So your money is held hostage for that amount of time,the buyer can break it,destroy it or even just get tired or it,and paypal is going to refund their money out of your account.

That's why you transfer money out of your PP account once you are fairly certain the transaction is OK.  Now ebay has a 14 day money back guarantee so I make sure I have enough to cover that then its transferred to the bank account.  Your PP account is linked to your bank account but I don't think they can't go into your bank account and take the money out.  They can take it from your PP balance though and they can probably put a hold on your PP account so if you sell anything else it gets tied up.

I used to sell a fair amount 3 or 4 years ago and I have bought many times.  I can only recall 1 instance buying where the item I got was damaged and the seller wouldn't do anything.  This was pre"buyer gets whatever he wants" days so ebay wouldn't do anything for me.  Seller claimed and Ebay agreed the item was damaged in transit (never mind that the broken off pieces were not in the box so they were broken prior to shipping) and the PO said packaging was crap (it was) so they wouldn't go good on the insurance.  One other time I booght a reproduction poster and it came so faded and blurred you could barely make out the words.  The seller refunded my money and told me not to bother sending it back.  As far as selling I don't think I had a single issue.

Now with such high shipping costs and the ridiculous return policy they have it is tough to make it worthwhile.  I sold a few high end items and made out OK but I don't know if I will keep at it. 
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

ghonk

I  thought if there wasn't enough money  in your paypal account to cover the hold they would put the hold on your bank account since it is linked,but not certain,will have to check again.

I  bought  3  pieces  of vintage audio that were   damaged  in shipping from poor packing,and another 3 that  didn't work  as described.

I kept 2 at a reduced price,2 were FREE since the buyer didn't want to pay for the return shipping,and 2  were  sent back.     

wsantia1

I won't link my bank account to Paypal even though they also ask.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ghonk

I forget what the bank link rules are,i think as a buyer when your bank account is linked you are verified,which some sellers like to see,or insist on.

As a seller i THINK it has to be linked,but can't remember for sure.