• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 08:48:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 735
Total: 735

Pulled a spawn for grins...

Started by Mugwump, May 31, 2014, 04:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

That's great Jon, mine spawned yesterday and had a egg breakfast.  I know they will parent raise.  They have done it before. I was hopeful they would feel more secure in there new tank with lots of plants to hide in.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on June 06, 2014, 10:06:55 PM
That's great Jon, mine spawned yesterday and had a egg breakfast.  I know they will parent raise.  They have done it before. I was hopeful they would feel more secure in there new tank with lots of plants to hide in.

I've come to the conclusion that some of the 'wild' blooded angels just have a mind of their own.....they can be so different in their spawning habits....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

They're up and chowing on Micro worms... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...a goodly number too ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on June 07, 2014, 07:54:00 AM
They're up and chowing on Micro worms... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...a goodly number too ;D

I am glad to hear they are eating well for you. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

Congrats on your success with these beauties.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on June 07, 2014, 08:09:41 AM
Congrats on your success with these beauties.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: wsantia1 on June 07, 2014, 08:01:04 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on June 07, 2014, 07:54:00 AM

I am glad to hear they are eating well for you. ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...little pigs ;D
Jon

ghonk

Hey Jon,are those the original ones you got from Joel,if so i think 50% of the one's Joel had were Het p/b.
Did you get blue offspring from that pair,or have you done a test cross to see if either is Het p/b.
Are those the only two you have. 

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on June 07, 2014, 12:31:11 PM
Hey Jon,are those the original ones you got from Joel,if so i think 50% of the one's Joel had were Het p/b.
Did you get blue offspring from that pair,or have you done a test cross to see if either is Het p/b.
Are those the only two you have.

Yes, this is the older pair...they are Ken's Sta Isabel's crossed with Neil's Rio Negro X PB ghost....these are from Joel, but not Joel's crosses.....some of this pair's fry will carry a Pb and a stripeless...and of course a gold gene that usually accompanies anything from Neil...it was carried by the PB ghost that he used for the Rio Negro crosses to Ken's fish..
Willie and Scott, have pairs from their previous spawns, oh and Pauline too, I believe....they didn't get any PB's, but did get some nice blue blushers.... ;D...Pauline may get some from hers tho..we'll see....
but..age hasn't slowed them down much....here's the free swimmers that popped this morning..

Jon

ghonk

So ONE of the parents DIFINITELY is Het p/b.And  SOME of the offspring from the pair, when crossed with PB or HET PB's resulted in pb/pb fry.Is that how you are confiming they will throw some hets. 

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on June 07, 2014, 03:37:24 PM
So ONE of the parents DIFINITELY is Het p/b.And  SOME of the offspring from the pair, when crossed with PB or HET PB's resulted in pb/pb fry.Is that how you are confiming they will throw some hets.

pretty much....I know it's there in one parent.....so some of the offspring have to carry it....which one is the issue....LOL...you can sometimes get a hint at the pb 'hets' but not always...

with this spawn I'll be looking for any hint in the fry that they're 'het' for pb....small fry can display a better hint of it better than say quarters,etc that have their phenotype displays overriding any faint pb signs.....a flashlight across a dark tank will pick up trace colorations that are helpful....

what are your observations on 'het' pb fry??
Jon

ghonk

I doubt that i could pick out a het,all my fish that i got spawns from were double dose,except for the female het albino GOLD that i used to confirm the albino gene in all my plat  and pinoy males.She would spawn with anything,real whore.LOL
I only kept the albino fry from the spawns where i got them,and they ALL starved before free swimming.
Except for 1 batch  or about 30 that i trashed at about pea size when i saw they had no ventrals.

With my eyes i would probably have a hard time picking out blues from NON pb fish until pre dimes.

Mugwump

...so far so good... ;D.....I have to be careful to keep my fingers out of there...sheesh....they act like piranha... ;D
Jon

Mugwump

Zounds!!...may have to move these guys earlier than I thought.... ;D....the fat little snots are growing like weeds.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

wsantia1

It funny how fast they grow. I have some that I swore were pea size a week ago and now they are dimes. lol ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.