• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 03:31:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 842
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 840
Total: 841

Well, that was a kick in the head

Started by LizStreithorst, August 21, 2017, 03:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I called the wholesaler to see if they needed anything Thursday.  I told Tammy to ask the fish buying guy if they were worth more than a buck a piece because they are now larger than silver dollar body size and are pairing up and spawning.  Tammy said that she's ask but that they only deal in fish of one size...small.  Hell, they have been getting mediums from me for two months.  Anyway, they might not want any.

I called Ken at my LFS.  He didn't need any but when I told him the situation and asked if we couldn't do what we've done in the past with me giving him fish without money passing hands and if he sells them and makes money he gives me some.  My LFS and I have a relationship based on trust.  Ken actually apologized to me by not being to help me more ::)

I've gotten myself into a hard spot yet again.  Anyone here need some healthy, breeding age, good looking Angels for next to nothing plus shipping?  I have so many cool fish.  My blue marbles carried all sorts of recessive genes.  I have pear scale plats.  I have gorgeous pearl scale sunsets.  I have these blue blushers none of who are pearl scales.  I have a ton of silver ghosts most are pearl scale.

Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

Dan

LizStreithorst

I know it's what I should do.  I prefer offer them to folks I like for next to nothing first.

wsantia1

That's a generous offer Liz. I have to make sure my tanks are 100% well before I get anymore fish. Maybe next time. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

You know I don't have any room for more fish...but I sure would take some if I could....Want me to ask at the club meeting this weekend?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

That would be great.  I won't let them go to people I don't know for next to nothing but they'll be cheap.  I post some pics that folks can see here if they're interested. 

LizStreithorst

I have decided on a plan of action.  Thursday after I get back from taking Ken and Twee their 25 I'll come home and put most of my ghosts and marbles in ice water.  Thursday's the best day for that because Friday is garbage day.  I'll be left with a ton of plats (twee loves plats) many pearl scale plats, my gorgeous pearl scale sunsets, gold pearl scales, my German blues some of with are blushers, and the few blue ghosts and a hand full of blue marbles and blue ghosts that ring my bell.  I won't destroy my proven parent raisers even though I don't need any of their kids ATM.  They were good to me.  I feel that I'd be committing a sin if I were to do them in.  They're all together in a 100 gallon.  Heck...I devote 140 gallons to Discus and the Discus have not done a thing for me.

Once I'll cull, I'll reevaluate the situation, move some fish around, get that 190 gallon container out of the middle of the fish room,  put some fish up on aquabid, and try to make a buck.  I got myself in to this mess.  I'll get myself out of it.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 22, 2017, 06:55:53 PM
I have decided on a plan of action.  Thursday after I get back from taking Ken and Twee their 25 I'll come home and put most of my ghosts and marbles in ice water.  Thursday's the best day for that because Friday is garbage day.  I'll be left with a ton of plats (twee loves plats) many pearl scale plats, my gorgeous pearl scale sunsets, gold pearl scales, my German blues some of with are blushers, and the few blue ghosts and a hand full of blue marbles and blue ghosts that ring my bell.  I won't destroy my proven parent raisers even though I don't need any of their kids ATM.  They were good to me.  I feel that I'd be committing a sin if I were to do them in.  They're all together in a 100 gallon.  Heck...I devote 140 gallons to Discus and the Discus have not done a thing for me.

Once I'll cull, I'll reevaluate the situation, move some fish around, get that 190 gallon container out of the middle of the fish room,  put some fish up on aquabid, and try to make a buck.  I got myself in to this mess.  I'll get myself out of it.

That's why I am not breeding at the moment. I hate putting down fish.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I wouldn't be in this situation except for the fact that I thought that whe wholesaler would continue to buy between 200 and 300 smalls from me every two weeks.  I'm be for careful from now on.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 22, 2017, 01:44:16 PM
That would be great.  I won't let them go to people I don't know for next to nothing but they'll be cheap.  I post some pics that folks can see here if they're interested.
Ok...post them and I will print and transfer to my phone and show them off for you. These are really good fish people from newbies to experts and they are serious keepers....if you have any types of blues especially, I think one guy would be particularly interested...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Unexpected good news!  I thought that the wholesaler wouldn't take any fish because after Tammy told me Monday that they only deal in smalls and she didn't call back I figured that I was shit out of luck.  Not so!  She called this morning and said that they will either give me $1.50 each and take 50 fish or 100 fish if I've I'd take $1.00 each.  Given my situation I took the $1.00 option.  That will help me out a lot!  I'm actually hoping that I won't have to euthanize fish because they had the nerve go grow.

I asked what happened between the time that they were buying 200 to 300 from me every two weeks and when it dropped to 100 every now and again.  I wondered if their main Angelfish supplier took a break from the hobby or was sick or what.  She told me that Barry tried buying from their main guy, Mr. Arthur, one week and me the next, but then Mr. Arthur started asking if there was something wrong with his fish and since they'd been buying from him for 16 years they decided to cut me back.

We're still on Ron.  I'll be re-organizing fish big time tomorrow.  I wish I had more small tanks open so I could pack in individual strains for good pics.  I don't.  I'll do my best with what I have.

Barb

Whew, a reprieve from the Governor at the last minute!!! |^|
Barb

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 23, 2017, 01:49:33 PM
Unexpected good news!  I thought that the wholesaler wouldn't take any fish because after Tammy told me Monday that they only deal in smalls and she didn't call back I figured that I was shit out of luck.  Not so!  She called this morning and said that they will either give me $1.50 each and take 50 fish or 100 fish if I've I'd take $1.00 each.  Given my situation I took the $1.00 option.  That will help me out a lot!  I'm actually hoping that I won't have to euthanize fish because they had the nerve go grow.

I asked what happened between the time that they were buying 200 to 300 from me every two weeks and when it dropped to 100 every now and again.  I wondered if their main Angelfish supplier took a break from the hobby or was sick or what.  She told me that Barry tried buying from their main guy, Mr. Arthur, one week and me the next, but then Mr. Arthur started asking if there was something wrong with his fish and since they'd been buying from him for 16 years they decided to cut me back.

We're still on Ron.  I'll be re-organizing fish big time tomorrow.  I wish I had more small tanks open so I could pack in individual strains for good pics.  I don't.  I'll do my best with what I have.
I'm good with that
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Wide finned marbles, most blue some not.  25 available

LizStreithorst

Blue palts  I don't know why they look so yellow in the pic.  It must be the lighting.  around 50 available.  Some are pearl scales some not.