• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 04:46:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 609
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 595
Total: 596

Columbus Killifish Group

Started by BallAquatics, December 08, 2014, 03:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

The CKG had their first Box Sale / Auction yesterday so I donated some of my 'Home Brew' to add to the festivities.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

LOL...Jan snagged a daphnia culture yesterday at the swap....we have them in a fiver, about 1/3 full.....tossed in some yeast to feed them, the waters clearing a little now....you can see em chowing.. ;D   
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

That's something you don't see everyday. A unique item that people most likely hope to win in an auction. Were you there to see how it went over, especially with that clever packaging.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

ilroost

Nice packaging. Bet  they sold quick.
Thats something i have never have tried.I have always bought the frozen daphnia

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 08, 2014, 05:27:06 PM
Were you there to see how it went over, especially with that clever packaging.  :)

No, I had to just drop them off and head back.  I've been toying with the idea of selling some on-line, that where the packaging comes from.

Dennis

PaulineMi

How long do they survive in an enclosed bottle like that?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 08, 2014, 07:46:53 PM
How long do they survive in an enclosed bottle like that?

Well, those are one litre bottles with 100 to 200 daphnia.  I leave a bit of air space at the top and they can stay sealed up for a week without any problems.  I didn't test any further than that, but at the end of the week they didn't appear to be in any distress.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2014, 07:48:14 PM
Do you print your own labels??

Yes.  When I take fish to the swaps and auctions, I like to have a nice informative label on the bags.  I think it helps with the sale.  Using that rational,  I worked up the labels for the daphnia bottles.

In addition to the green water, I have a dry mix that I feed and plan to include some with my cultures sold on-line.  Lots still to work out for directions and what not.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 08, 2014, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2014, 07:48:14 PM
Do you print your own labels??

Yes.  When I take fish to the swaps and auctions, I like to have a nice informative label on the bags.  I think it helps with the sale.  Using that rational,  I worked up the labels for the daphnia bottles.

In addition to the green water, I have a dry mix that I feed and plan to include some with my cultures sold on-line.  Lots still to work out for directions and what not.....

Dennis

The labels look great, nice job there...any special program??
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2014, 07:59:30 PM
...any special program??

No, some Open Source software call Open Office (https://www.openoffice.org/).  It's the free equivalent of Microsoft Office.  The word processor application will let you select a 3 column page lay-out.  I make the spaces between the columns wide enough that the actual column width is about the same as the width of clear packing tape.  I cover the labels with the tape and it's like they are laminated so any stray water doesn't spoil the label.   ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 08, 2014, 08:13:17 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2014, 07:59:30 PM
...any special program??

No, some Open Source software call Open Office (https://www.openoffice.org/).  It's the free equivalent of Microsoft Office.  The word processor application will let you select a 3 column page lay-out.  I make the spaces between the columns wide enough that the actual column width is about the same as the width of clear packing tape.  I cover the labels with the tape and it's like they are laminated so any stray water doesn't spoil the label.   ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

I run 'Open Office' too.....I'll try that for some fish labels.....thanks....open source rules.... ;D...I hope it runs on Win 8.1..??
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2014, 08:21:50 PM
...I hope it runs on Win 8.1..??

Microsoft Windows

• Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 2012, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
  • Free memory of 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
  • At least 650 MB available disk space for a default install via download. After installation and deletion of temporary installation files, Apache OpenOffice will use approximately 440 MB disk space.
  • 1024 x 768 pixel or higher resolution with at least 256 colors (16.7 million colors recommended)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 08, 2014, 09:18:11 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2014, 08:21:50 PM
...I hope it runs on Win 8.1..??

Microsoft Windows

• Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 2012, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
  • Free memory of 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
  • At least 650 MB available disk space for a default install via download. After installation and deletion of temporary installation files, Apache OpenOffice will use approximately 440 MB disk space.
  • 1024 x 768 pixel or higher resolution with at least 256 colors (16.7 million colors recommended)

Dennis

I have on XP, runs fine....thanks for the above info....I'd heard of a few glitches between Win 8 and Win 8.1....so I was/am still leery...

we'll know soon....LOL...I've been gathering my things to transfer to the new rig.....almost done...then off we go..... ;D

Jon

BillT

I don't know about open office, but MS word usually has many label templates for printing out labels of various sizes. usually smaller than those however.