• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 08:01:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 328
Total: 329

Culling and moving sub adults tomorrow

Started by LizStreithorst, November 02, 2013, 04:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Damn.  I'd buy the juvies way before I'd buy the pair.  The pair isn't worth that much, period. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Liz, fish often sell for some outrageous amounts on AquaBid.  About the same time I got my 6 L183's for around $50, this group sold on AquaBid.  Brian is a member of our local club.....

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwcatfishp1367184419

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Barb on November 02, 2013, 06:10:14 PM
Liz, are the 3 good enough to send to me?
Barb

As you know Barb,  I won't be buying or selling any fish for 6 months.  Until then, I will breed and select.  It's my only reasonable outlet under these circumstances.  I'm not happy just sitting around and watching fish swim.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 02, 2013, 09:48:22 PM
Liz, fish often sell for some outrageous amounts on AquaBid.  About the same time I got my 6 L183's for around $50, this group sold on AquaBid.  Brian is a member of our local club.....

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwcatfishp1367184419

Dennis

So I see now.  At the last NADA I took one of my most beautiful HB pairs and about 80 of their sibling's quarter sized expressing fry.  I wanted $150. for the pair.  If I didn't sell them for that I would have been happy to take them back home.  Everybody thought that I wouldn't sell them, but I did.  A knowledgeable Discus guy asked me about them.  I told him everything I knew back to the places the first cross came from.  He bought them.  I guess if they're worth the price to both the buyer and the seller, they're worth the price.

LizStreithorst

Here are pics of 2 of them.  One is a Pearl Scale, the other is not.I took pics before the fish were comfortably settled in so they aren't great.  I'll try for a full tank shot tomorrow.

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Thanks.  I know that they are pretty decent.  They also have a nice red eye.  Compare my eyes to what  Mark's Discus calls a red eye.  In Discus, a pale eye is a fault so we just naturally select for red eyes.  No so in Angels.  Y'all don't care about eye color.  But if I ever advertise the fact that my fish have a red eye, they will have a red eye.  To me, eye color is worth selecting for.  I just like it.

LizStreithorst

My first pair just formed.  It's a veil and a standard.  Neither are pearl scales, but both carry the gene.  I'll get their tank set up this after noon and get them moved as soon as I'm sure the heaters are doing right.

Mugwump

That's pretty sweet, Liz....you'll get a std/veil mix too.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Scott

Jdmcfast

Fantastic! Good luck

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Josh

LizStreithorst

I separated another pair last night.  I pearl scale veil female and standard non pearl scale male.

Barb

Good luck with those beauties Liz, someday I may have some of yours in my tank.
Barb

Frank The Plumber

Keep all of your fish from this group. Each HB fish has a unique genetic identity, no two are the same. Matching the fish equates to matching the fish together that give you the best expression of Hb and most complete field and best differentiation line. Two fish that visually look great may not transfer this to their fry, a great looking fish and one not so great may turn out great looking fry. Test and raise out fish towards a sample to see which fish paired together make you the best Hb stock. Remember...you are always breeding towards better stock. Keep the best for you.

When you breed these keep at least two pairs. Keep the siblings separated from these pairs. As you progress, breed sib to sibling on each line. At three or so sib to sib crosses breed the two diverging lines together. This gives you a better cross than a sib to sib cross. This will be a cousin cross and a bit of variation in the exact gene line will have occurred.

I have silver, Pb Pb, blush, Paraiba, albino silver, black velvet, black blush, albino paraiba, albino blush, albino silver, Pb Pb ghost, and Pb Pb  ghost albino...Half blacks. Most are still young.

Het Everythings they are calling the Het stock that I cracked to get the phenotypes.

Next we are cracking D/+ Pb/+ A/+ Str/+ G/+ Z/+ V/V . We have 12 adults in the 75 pairing tank ready to start breaking bad.

Then D/+ Pb/+ Hb/+ S/+ V/V
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?