• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 11:52:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 400
Total: 400

Culling and moving sub adults tomorrow

Started by LizStreithorst, November 02, 2013, 04:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

That's my job tomorrow.  I have 3 expressing Half Black/Pearl Scales that I have to cull.  They aren't terrible but I know that when they are gone it will make the group look better.  Thank God there are none not up to par in their siblings that just carry the Pearl Scale gene.  After I cull, I get to move the remaining 12 fish into a 60 gallon that is in a better place to view them from the sofa.  They are divided between 2 20's now and are starting to spar.  It's time to give them a bit or elbow room and it will be fun to see them all together.  I'll post pics once they're settled in.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It won't be too long before they pair.  I can't wait to see how they pair and which pair among them that I will choose.  In my few 12 years of breeding I've noticed that the best choose the best.  Not always, but mostly.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 02, 2013, 05:01:23 PM
In my few 12 years of breeding I've noticed that the best choose the best.  Not always, but mostly.

Mother nature usually knows best in my experience.

Dennis

Mugwump

It doesn't hurt to let 2, or more, pairs spawn..then select the pair with the best fry potential.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on November 02, 2013, 05:15:30 PM
It doesn't hurt to let 2, or more, pairs spawn..then select the pair with the best fry potential.

But I think that I should breed the best to the best and select the best from them.  I'm not out for numbers I'm out for what most pleases me.  I'll be keeping all the others so if the chosen pair doesn't work I can try with another pair.  Does that not make sense?

Barb

Liz, are the 3 good enough to send to me?
Barb

Barb

Oh, I forgot they can't go the same way Endlers can, cheap.  I can't do overnight now.
Barb

Mugwump

The half black gene can be persnickity about expressing. That's what I was referring too. Doing one pair at a time is taking the long route. If you have a couple 20H's...you can do two pairs at once.  ;D.while they're younger pairs, in their prime. ;D

Look at the sales price of these.....

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ish&1383496805

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ish&1383885610

Jon

LizStreithorst

This line that I'm working with is very good at expressing the half black gene.  I've been selecting for Half Blacks.  The Pearl Scale I bred to was 1/4 HB from the same grand parents.   It also carried the HB gene.  A surprisingly high number of their spawn expressed.  I was much more surprised that the HB of the pair carried the PS gene.

Don't worry, Jon I won't loose the HB.  If they aren't HBs all they are is common Zebra PS mutts.  I will cull the Zebra mutts. 

God knows I have the tank space to grow out fry from 2 pairs.  I don't want to do 3 pairs at once.  I insist that mine raise their own kids.  This line is good at that too, but you never know...

The links you sent didn't work for me.

Mugwump

He must have pulled it down, or they sold??...He had 6 HB's, pre-breeder size for $250, and a mated pair for $350....and that was his starting price.  ;D
Jon

Mugwump

Jon

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Mark's Discus is dreaming.  Nice fish, but $350. for the pair?  Give me a break...He calls them red eyed buy the red eye is only partial.  The man needs to get a grip.  I really like the juvies from the first guy and think that they are worth the price.  I'd pay it.  Thanks for the links.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 02, 2013, 08:11:26 PM
Mark's Discus is dreaming.  Nice fish, but $350. for the pair?  Give me a break...He calls them red eyed buy the red eye is only partial.  The man needs to get a grip.  I really like the juvies from the first guy and think that they are worth the price.  I'd pay it.  Thanks for the links.

Both are Mark's....
Jon