• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 02:21:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 442
Total: 442

So far, so good...

Started by Mugwump, October 23, 2013, 08:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I've three pairs still parent raising...Koi, F1 mana X F1mana/pb silverghost, and a F1crosspbsilver ghost pair......plus Koi, and Koi het for PB with fry about to free swim....bbs hatchery on over drive...LOL....having microworms helps too.....little pigs  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

How long do you keep the fry and parents together.  I've been separating them after about a week of free swimming but I'd like to keep them together longer if possible.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

If you feed the fry good, they leave the parents alone....I try for a couple weeks..this allows any weak ones to be gobbled up ;D....then if I have a couple different phenotypes, I put em all in a 30 gal by themselves to grow a bit more...a few weeks??....then to a 55 gal....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Sounds good.  I've got a pair with about 10 fry that are about 10 days free swimming.  No problems yet and they have space in a 29G so I'll just leave them as long as possible.  This pair ( Mana X ) has been doing well and I think they will just get better at this.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on October 23, 2013, 04:57:27 PM
If you feed the fry good, they leave the parents alone....I try for a couple weeks..this allows any weak ones to be gobbled up ;D....then if I have a couple different phenotypes, I put em all in a 30 gal by themselves to grow a bit more...a few weeks??....then to a 55 gal....

I should add that this works with smaller spawns only...LOL.bigger spawns, hell no.. ;D...I've had spawns of 1000+....they went right from a 10 gal to a 55 gal.. ;D ;D ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on October 23, 2013, 05:48:18 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on October 23, 2013, 04:57:27 PM

I should add that this works with smaller spawns only...LOL.bigger spawns, hell no.. ;D...I've had spawns of 1000+....they went right from a 10 gal to a 55 gal.. ;D ;D ;D

LOL ;D ;D ;D
Willie

wsantia1

Attached is a random shot of the Mana X spawn.  Not a good picture but I was trying to catch the blue blusher.  The tank is not as crowded as it looks.  They all came over to one side looking for food when they saw me. LOL ;D
Willie

Mugwump

Nice pic...blue blushers are sweet.  ;D
Jon