• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 07:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 331
Total: 331

How Could I have been so blind?

Started by LizStreithorst, October 18, 2013, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

lol, it said that you were on at DaaH so I PM'd you about them there.  Please, when you have time give me more than, "nice fish".  I know nothing about Angles so it would be a great help to me.  I don't care if you do it on the open forum or via PM.  I have a good thick skin.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I agree, they look very nice. The regular veil look exceptional...nice round bodies, good finage, and click on the 'magnify' + sign..scroll in on the bodies and fins...see the broken striations?..the faded out line of multiple bars?....unlike George's PB Silver ghost, where it's just an educated guess....I definitely see the Zebra gene there.....If you got any non-expressing ,from this batch, were they Zebra's?...... 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Scott

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on October 20, 2013, 06:33:07 PM
I agree, they look very nice. The regular veil look exceptional...nice round bodies, good finage, and click on the 'magnify' + sign..scroll in on the bodies and fins...see the broken striations?..the faded out line of multiple bars?....unlike George's PB Silver ghost, where it's just an educated guess....I definitely see the Zebra gene there.....If you got any non-expressing ,from this batch, were they Zebra's?......

Oh yeah, Mug.  The first cross I made was to a high finned but not quite veil Zebra from Angels Plus who apparently carried the Pearl Scale gene to a Standard Half Black from George.  I've been working with these guys for several generations although I considered them "stupid Angels".  I can't believe the variation in the finnage I've seen from them.   Everything from veils to wide finned.

If you're looking for pure bred half blacks these will not be your cup of tea.  They're a bunch of mutts.  All the non expressing ones are Zebra's. 

Mugwump

'Mutts', yep, but double dose HB for sure....they'll fit the 'tinker' project just fine.  :D..he he, I may drag Scott into it too... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

They have been fun for me to play with, that's all I know. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 20, 2013, 07:16:37 PM
They have been fun for me to play with, that's all I know.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.....along with that sweet air pump.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

b125killer

Quote from: Mugwump on October 20, 2013, 07:06:16 PM
'Mutts', yep, but double dose HB for sure....they'll fit the 'tinker' project just fine.  :D..he he, I may drag Scott into it too... ;D

What are your plan on tinkering with them? I have the HE female waiting in the community tank for a project ;D
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 20, 2013, 08:04:51 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on October 20, 2013, 07:06:16 PM

What are your plan on tinkering with them? I have the HE female waiting in the community tank for a project ;D

Me too  ;D..but possibly something else.. ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Mutts are great!  All different things come out that you didn't know where came from.   It's a blast!  How I got the variation in finnage from the first cross I will never know.  I guess I selected what most rang my bell and then selected what most rang my bell in the next generation and it becomes an ongoing thing.  It's fun!  It's what breeding is all about!

GeorgeG

Don't tinker to much and lose the HB trait as non expressing. Spawn the pair and produce some fry then tinker

Mugwump

Quote from: GeorgeG on October 21, 2013, 07:07:03 AM
Don't tinker to much and lose the HB trait as non expressing. Spawn the pair and produce some fry then tinker

George is right. Keep the line 'tight' for a bit. You can even do a sibling/parent cross back to solidify the good expression that you're getting now. HB can be persnickety, so when you have good results, stay the course. Even and 'outside' HB crossed into your line may blow the expression for a few generations.
Jon

LizStreithorst

Keeping it tight will be no problem as these 7 Angles I'm keeping are the only Angles that I own.  It is already pretty tight as they all go back to the first cross I made between a Zebra and Half Black.  I've always been pleasantly surprised at the high percentage of my spawns would express and at how young they were when they started to turn.  I got lucky with that group of good HB's from George that I started with.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 21, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
Keeping it tight will be no problem as these 7 Angles I'm keeping are the only Angles that I own.  It is already pretty tight as they all go back to the first cross I made between a Zebra and Half Black.  I've always been pleasantly surprised at the high percentage of my spawns would express and at how young they were when they started to turn.  I got lucky with that group of good HB's from George that I started with.

Excellent  ;D
Jon

GeorgeG

QuoteI got lucky with that group of good HB's from George that I started with.

Now spawn those so I can buy some back please