• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 10:50:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 852
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

Terrible Beer

Started by LizStreithorst, December 27, 2013, 02:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sschind

I'm just polishing off another bottle of Leinenkugels Hoppin' Helles, their 2013 fall seasonal.  It's pretty good and since is a seasonal I got it on closeout.  $3.00 a sixer.  I bought 3 cases of it.  Its not often you find good beer cheap.

My favorite recently has been the Leinenkugels Baltic Porter but at 12 bucks for 4 bottles it's a treat not an every day drinker.

I'm not a big wheat beer fan so I can take or leave Blue Moon.  At the SEWERfest reptile show they have it on tap for the vendors and I usually skip it.

All the talk about cheap beer reminds me of one night during my college days.  I went out to a local establishment as college students are wont to do and as I was making my way to the bar I noticed that pretty much everyone had either a Bud or a Bud light in their hand.  I went up to the bar and asked for my usual Leinies original and some guy comes up to me and says "free bud products tonight" and I said "yeah, I figured as much" and laid my money down and said to the bartender "I'll have the Leinies"  I think I was the first college kid the rep ever saw who turned down free beer.  I got my Leinies and did the little tip of the bottle to him and walked away.

When my cousin and I go out he usually drinks some of that Miller 64 or some other God awful swill and he will take a drink and say "man I love beer"  My response is usually along the lines of "why don't you drink some then"

When I first moved to Southern Wisconsin all my circle of friends drank Miller lite so that is what I drank just to make it easy.  Going to a party? bring a case of Lite.  Buying a round of beers?  Half a dozen Lites please" after a while I decided what the hell?  why should I drink a beer I can't stand just to make it easier on everyone.  Now I still bring the case of Miller Lite to the party but I usually bring a 6 or 12 of good beer as well.

As the old saying goes "Life is too short drink cheap beer"
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

sschind

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 28, 2013, 02:52:35 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 28, 2013, 02:38:26 PM
Expensive beer is just that....and an expensive 'P' too... ;D

That's like saying that all food is the same because it keeps you alive.  I'm into both food and beer for the flavor.  And yes, I often have expensive pee.  I rather like the fact that even my pee is expensive :P

Are we going to have to move this to the adult section?
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on December 31, 2013, 07:25:40 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 28, 2013, 02:52:35 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 28, 2013, 02:38:26 PM
Expensive beer is just that....and an expensive 'P' too... ;D

That's like saying that all food is the same because it keeps you alive.  I'm into both food and beer for the flavor.  And yes, I often have expensive pee.  I rather like the fact that even my pee is expensive :P

What adult section?.....LOL....

Are we going to have to move this to the adult section?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: sschind on December 31, 2013, 07:22:26 PM
I'm just polishing off another bottle of Leinenkugels Hoppin' Helles, their 2013 fall seasonal.  It's pretty good and since is a seasonal I got it on closeout.  $3.00 a sixer.  I bought 3 cases of it.  Its not often you find good beer cheap.

My favorite recently has been the Leinenkugels Baltic Porter but at 12 bucks for 4 bottles it's a treat not an every day drinker.

I'm not a big wheat beer fan so I can take or leave Blue Moon.  At the SEWERfest reptile show they have it on tap for the vendors and I usually skip it.

All the talk about cheap beer reminds me of one night during my college days.  I went out to a local establishment as college students are wont to do and as I was making my way to the bar I noticed that pretty much everyone had either a Bud or a Bud light in their hand.  I went up to the bar and asked for my usual Leinies original and some guy comes up to me and says "free bud products tonight" and I said "yeah, I figured as much" and laid my money down and said to the bartender "I'll have the Leinies"  I think I was the first college kid the rep ever saw who turned down free beer.  I got my Leinies and did the little tip of the bottle to him and walked away.

When my cousin and I go out he usually drinks some of that Miller 64 or some other God awful swill and he will take a drink and say "man I love beer"  My response is usually along the lines of "why don't you drink some then"

When I first moved to Southern Wisconsin all my circle of friends drank Miller lite so that is what I drank just to make it easy.  Going to a party? bring a case of Lite.  Buying a round of beers?  Half a dozen Lites please" after a while I decided what the hell?  why should I drink a beer I can't stand just to make it easier on everyone.  Now I still bring the case of Miller Lite to the party but I usually bring a 6 or 12 of good beer as well.

As the old saying goes "Life is too short drink cheap beer"

Steve, you are my beer hero, but what you said is true for every thing in my  life  I'm the same way when it comes to everything I can think off.  I'm not sure whether having good taste is a blessing or a curse.
Always move forward. Never look back.

sschind

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 31, 2013, 09:10:27 PM

Steve, you are my beer hero, but what you said is true for every thing in my  life  I'm the same way when it comes to everything I can think off.  I'm not sure whether having good taste is a blessing or a curse.

The thing is I really don't know that much about beer.  I was in line buying my 3 cases of Leinies hoppin helles because it was cheap and I like it and someone asked me what it was like and all I could say is "I like it"  I don't really know what a "hoppy" beer tastes like.  Porters, Ales, Lagers, Wheats? I really don't know much about them.  I am certainly not a beer snob (at least I don't think I am) I just know what I like and what I don't like.  I'm not going to put anyone down or make fun of them because they like Miller Lite or Bud light.  I mean sure, I think those beers suck but they don't or they wouldn't be drinking them.

As for the rest of life, yeah, why waste it on a compromise but some things don't bother me to compromise on.  I'll sacrifice my personal feelings for the greater good on most occasions (eating out, movies etc.)  I'll miss the Packers playoff game because I think my nephew has a basketball game.  My Brother in law misses Bears games (HE WON'T MISS ANY THIS WEEKEND THOUGH)  to go to the BB games but his nose is stuck in his phone all day.  I hate that.

Another example  I hate Mexican food but this couple I spend time with love Chipotles so I put up with it because I know they like it.

That was just to see if you are reading Bob.  I don't hate Chipotles.

Anyway, its all about priorities.  If you set them and keep them straight you will be happy.  I know what my beer priorities now though and I won't compromise them any more if its an easy choice to make.

Steve Schindler

HB

P4Angels2

all anyone needs to do is get a bottle of wine with a big dimple in the bottom of the bottle....Right Jon.... ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D :-*

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels2 on January 01, 2014, 04:23:08 PM
all anyone needs to do is get a bottle of wine with a big dimple in the bottom of the bottle....Right Jon.... ::)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LOL......All hail the 'dimple'  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson