• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 09:52:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 612
Total: 614

Puppy Linux

Started by Mugwump, August 29, 2015, 01:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...not sure just which file(s) to download here...??....and can I download right to a stick??

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Yep, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 29, 2015, 01:41:57 PM
Yep, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Dennis

I thought it would be something to try out....???   just boot to it..?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

If you boot off of a flash drive, you will need to download the software to prepare the flash drive.  I rarely do it this way.  I've found it much easier just to burn the ISO onto a rewritable CD or DVD and boot from that.  Using rewritable discs, you can burn other distro ISO's to the same disc and re use the disc over and over.

As for the Puppy distro, I've always found it hard to load and then it just never felt right to me when using it.  If you are looking for a 'Lite' distro for an older system, I'd recommend Linux Lite or the Ubuntu Mate distro.  I've also installed Debian with the Mate desktop on some ancient Dell's before with very good results.  I have an old Dell Demension 4600 sitting here loaded with Debian 8 (Jessie) right now.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 29, 2015, 02:53:21 PM
If you boot off of a flash drive, you will need to download the software to prepare the flash drive.  I rarely do it this way.  I've found it much easier just to burn the ISO onto a rewritable CD or DVD and boot from that.  Using rewritable discs, you can burn other distro ISO's to the same disc and re use the disc over and over.

As for the Puppy distro, I've always found it hard to load and then it just never felt right to me when using it.  If you are looking for a 'Lite' distro for an older system, I'd recommend Linux Lite or the Ubuntu Mate distro.  I've also installed Debian with the Mate desktop on some ancient Dell's before with very good results.  I have an old Dell Demension 4600 sitting here loaded with Debian 8 (Jessie) right now.

Dennis

I still have an old Dell 3000 set up and running...that's what I'd use....it's still a fairly quick machine with only a gig of memory....would it be best to partition it??....I may have an old copy of Partition Magic laying around...??.....don't know about a dual boot tho..??
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on August 29, 2015, 03:10:16 PM
.....don't know about a dual boot tho..??

I don't either.  I used dual boot with OS/2 back in the early 90's, but soon found it much more productive to just swap drives and haven't used it since.

Dennis