• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 08:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 620
Total: 620

Windows 10====>

Started by Mugwump, August 01, 2015, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I turned the voice thing off and well as just about everything else. If you try to do something that you did not select Windows 10 will prompt you to select it. The decision to activate or not select an item is then in your hands.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 07, 2015, 01:52:23 PM
I turned the voice thing off and well as just about everything else. If you try to do something that you did not select Windows 10 will prompt you to select it. The decision to activate or not select an item is then in your hands.

Thanks....good to know.....I was hoping that a bunch of junk isn't crammed down our throats, then you have to figure out where the cleverly hid 'kill switch' is to be found...........hate that....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

That's what I did as well.  Turn it off and if needed down the road, I'll turn it on then.

I always use the "Local Login" too.  They will never be able to get rid of that one.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 07, 2015, 03:28:03 PM
That's what I did as well.  Turn it off and if needed down the road, I'll turn it on then.

I always use the "Local Login" too.  They will never be able to get rid of that one.  LOL

Dennis

I hate the Win 8 sign-ins every time....did you just enter bogus login info and take the local option ?.....or install win10 disconnected to the internet?...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Well it's not bogus info, it's the info needed to login to my local network as opposed to the Microsoft network.  If you don't actually have a network you could enter whatever you like.

They have a legit reason for doing it their way, and for some folks it might very well be a good thing.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 07, 2015, 04:02:33 PM
Well it's not bogus info, it's the info needed to login to my local network as opposed to the Microsoft network.  If you don't actually have a network you could enter whatever you like.

They have a legit reason for doing it their way, and for some folks it might very well be a good thing.

Dennis

I understand that part....I'd read the easiest way to get the 'local' sign in setup was to either install unconnected...or sign in to the MS login with a bogus email addy and it kicks you to the 'local' acct creation page.....
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 07, 2015, 04:38:20 PM

Dennis

I understand that part....I'd read the easiest way to get the 'local' sign in setup was to either install unconnected...or sign in to the MS login with a bogus email addy and it kicks you to the 'local' acct creation page.....

My local just popped up like it always does. When I went through the install process I did the customized install and said no to everything. When I rebooted it went right ti the local login page. It may have kept the settings from Windows 7.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 07, 2015, 05:19:36 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on August 07, 2015, 04:38:20 PM

Dennis

My local just popped up like it always does. When I went through the install process I did the customized install and said no to everything. When I rebooted it went right ti the local login page. It may have kept the settings from Windows 7.

Interesting.....well, we'll see which one I get.......??
Jon

BallAquatics

Yep, same here.  I didn't loose any of my Win 7 settings.  It even carried over my wireless config on the laptops.

There is a link to click to set-up the local login.  It's just not as prominent as the button Microsoft wants you to click for their login.  LOL

I'm liking it pretty well.  I was thrilled to find that Win X lets you have multiple desktops like Linux.  On the weekends, I might be connected to 3 different client systems, it's very nice to have them running on their own desktop.  Once I have them all working away, I can open a fourth desktop to play in until one of the client systems needs further attention.

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 07, 2015, 06:55:05 PM

I was thrilled to find that Win X lets you have multiple desktops like Linux.

Dennis, are you using partitions to run the multiple desktops?
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 07, 2015, 07:36:52 PM
Quote from: BallAquatics on August 07, 2015, 06:55:05 PM

I was thrilled to find that Win X lets you have multiple desktops like Linux.

don't need to....

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-use-multiple-desktops
Jon

BallAquatics

No it's not like a dual-boot system, these are multiple desktops all running at once.  You can switch between them and whatever is running on the other desktops just keeps right on cooking while you are working on another desktop.  It's kind of hard to explain, but once you get used to working with them, you really miss them when they are not available.  It's probably too much to hope that they work as well on Win X as they do in Linux.....

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-provides-closer-look-task-view-and-multiple-desktops-windows-10

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 07, 2015, 09:11:36 PM

No it's not like a dual-boot system, these are multiple desktops all running at once.  You can switch between them and whatever is running on the other desktops just keeps right on cooking while you are working on another desktop.  It's kind of hard to explain, but once you get used to working with them, you really miss them when they are not available.  It's probably too much to hope that they work as well on Win X as they do in Linux.....

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-provides-closer-look-task-view-and-multiple-desktops-windows-10

Dennis
Thanks guys.  I will read the material tomorrow.  It sounds interesting. [emoji2]
Willie

Mugwump

...all downloaded...took about 20 mins for the about 3 gigs to finish....it's preparing for install now.....yup, I hit the button....here we go.... ;D
Jon

Mugwump

Relatively painless.... :D....now to look around....
Jon